• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

^
This.

Unbraiding and rebraiding a winchline isn't very complicated and you can switch to a better thimble (one that doesn't crush) than this one in the process. And then you can use D-Rings.

That said, you could keep your hook on the line and hook it to your axle, unless you have packaging problems.

As Broady said, cutting a hole at the back of the winch plate makes for a better, more direct path for the rope, ut I've seen people use it with a fairlead and over the bumper back to the axle with no issues in a few years of use.

On a buddy's buggy :

attachment.php

Finally getting close to wrapping this up. I ran out of shielding gas today or I could've been done. Started off by finishing up some tubing from shock hoops to tubular frame rail then moved on to building new lower radiator mounts.

After welding the only other project I've got is removing the oil pan and moving my oil return port from the rear of the ban to the front.

Radiator mount...

IMG_20160911_115703332_zpsh3cecydf.jpg

IMG_20160911_153631974_HDR_zpsdawayk08.jpg

IMG_20160911_153714722_HDR_zpscr8ceaee.jpg

sleepsontoilet said:
That turned out clean

Thanks!

infamous1 said:
looks good Ryan!! why do you have to relocate your oil return?

Its currently located at the rear driver corner of the oil pan. There's been one or two time on VERY steep obstacles that I believe that the oil return hasn't been able to flow due to oil pooling at the rear of the pan and allowing it to blow by in the turbo. This was simply an oversight when I built it.

Well scrap the idea of moving the drain location..driver side upper link has occupied all of that real estate. Took it for a ride yesterday...seems good but it's running like **** for some reason. Hoping it's from sitting and just dirty plugs.

WELL...it works GREAT! I've got a few things to adjust...toe is currently way out...so gotta dial that back in. Otherwise it works really well. I've got limit straps on the way too but thanks to UPS they won't be here until Tuesday next week (damn they get slower every year). Probably the best part was it was my sons first trip with me. Just wish I 'd had a way to get some videos...but we'll have to settle for poser shots.

The carburetor is also running a lot better...I think the majority of the problem I was having was too much fuel pressure. I turned it back down to 1.5psi at idle and it really seems to be good. I also stepped down a size or two for the main jet...but I think that needs to go back up just a hair since it's pinging a little too quick on full throttle runs (which don't happen very often).

IMG_20160924_153118349_zpsackeghb7.jpg

IMG_20160924_153054186_zpsmtrm6dg1.jpg

:dblthumb: I dig it! Your front suspension numbers are very similar to my current draft. I'm concerned with ride height and relying on only N2 pressure to set ride height. You have the samurai engine and similar weight as mine, I'm curious, what is your distance between shock mounting (eye to eye )on your 14" air shocks? It looks like it sets at a good stance... Are you happy with the stability? Thanks!

GONOVRIT said:
Good job thumb.gif you goin to fall crawl?

No...but we are going to Harlan Oct. 27-30.

DirtMonkey said:
:dblthumb: I dig it! Your front suspension numbers are very similar to my current draft. I'm concerned with ride height and relying on only N2 pressure to set ride height. You have the samurai engine and similar weight as mine, I'm curious, what is your distance between shock mounting (eye to eye )on your 14" air shocks? It looks like it sets at a good stance... Are you happy with the stability? Thanks!

I can measure that for you later, but on the front I've got 5" of shaft showing so that should make the mounting points something like 26.5" apart. Stability is great so far. The part I was worried about the most was how it would act on really steep climbs...I didn't want to rely on the suck down to keep it under control. I was very happy to see that it was very calm in those situations and only used the suck down to see how things changed.

As we all know driving on pavement will really make things act strange...especially with lockers. In 2wd and in rear wheel drive it drives just fine, but throw it in 4wd and turn sharp...and it unloads a little. Off road I didn't really get it into any situations where I can remember it unloading. I'll have to get it out some more and report back.

Just went back and see now the 5" of shaft at ride height. I had planed around 4 or 5 inches. I wont have as much up travel...I have not modified the frame for up clearance. I know I should, but not wanting to get into that on this go around. I expect to use a suckdown winch on steep climbs, but dont want sidehill roll...we shall see....I like the way yours sits, the ride height looks perfect.

Got a trip to Harlan coming up next weekend so I've been working on tying up some loose ends. I'd ordered limit straps a while back and never got around to putting them on. I got the front ones on today but will wait to do the rears on Monday because I have some new 5wt oil coming for those shocks. I was dumb a while back and swapped to 10wt oil...hadn't done enough reading to understand what that would change but now I know that wasn't the right thing to do for my application and as light as my rig is. I also ordered a new light bar for the front bumper since it got redone and the old 7.5" double row wasn't gonna work.

The light I chose was a u-Box brand that I got from Amazon simply because it was the same price as on eBay and the shipping is much quicker. It showed up today and it looks pretty good...for the price of course.

IMG_20161022_123728647_zps6pyes9mg.jpg

Then I got busy doing entirely too much work to save some parts to use on my new bumper. Before I tubed out the rear of my rig the tubing stopped just before the door opening. I bought some of the billet steel tube caps from somewhere and still had them laying around from when I cut them off. So I chucked them up in my mini lathe (yeah I know...MINI lathe). The first one went pretty well, but the second one flew off at me twice when the tool grabbed too hard. It's amazing the dumbassery a cheap bastard will go through...haha

IMG_20161022_152327044_zpstsocjftc.jpg

mckeddie said:
6 shooters or 60's? I've been debating on a set of 6 shooters for mine.

You wouldn't regret it. We witnessed another factory Toyota knuckle come apart the other weekend. That is a bad break down, you get to tear down and completely reassemble one whole side of the axle..in the woods.. if you happen to be carrying a spare knuckle around with you. When it happened to me the high steer arm ended up going through the rotor (fun day).

Latest posts