• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New build priming? What do you say?

I don't understand why anyone would consider not priming a new engine it takes literally less than 3 minutes and then you don't have to worry about running your **** dry

Elliott said:
The problem with spinning the motor over with the plugs out is that you are moving the parts with no oil pressure at first, really that's no different than firing it up without priming it.Doing it with a distributor set up gets the oil everywhere without rubbing dry parts together.

That's how the books say to prime recip aircraft engines.

Prime your motor save your self the heart ache of a new motor knocking it takes less than 3 minutes to prime a motor
You will not regret it I promise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always prime mine on the engine stand. I've found a few issues that were easy to fix on the stand, but could have been catastrophic in the vehicle. Make sure you see oil coming out of the push rods on both sides. Some blocks require a distributor to be in place to get oil to one bank, so just a crewdriver end doesn't always work.
I usually run Rolella 15w40 for the first oil change bacause it has zinc in it. That info came right from Comp Cams.

Another pointer is prime it befor putting the rear freeze plug until you have oil there then pop a freeze plug in it that's a trick my machine shop showed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts