• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oil Containment

e4cutler

The last time I rolled my jeep I lost pretty much all of my oil and I'm wondering if there's someway I can prevent it from happening next time. I've got a tbi350 motor and believe it came out of the vent cap on the drivers side since that's the side I landed on. Has anyone had an issue with this and found a good solution? After watching the Rock Rods Tech Tip video I know how to prevent fuel loss but not sure how to deal with the oil issue.

I run a vent on both valve covers with hose ran down below the firewall off each one. They will still leak a little but slowed it down ALOT

You gotta either run a pcv system with a catch can, or run your valve cover vents to some catch cans, plus the "3 sides and down" line routing for extra insurance. or at least run the vents down to the bottom of the engine (won't really help when you're on your side, but it'll slow it down)

BUG-E J said:
I run a vent on both valve covers with hose ran down below the firewall off each one. They will still leak a little but slowed it down ALOT
The vent hole is probably 2" across, what did you use to neck down to reasonably sized hose?

Punkin85 said:
The vent hole is probably 2" across, what did you use to neck down to reasonably sized hose?
Gutted pcv valves. I run stock vortec covers so they have the same size grommet on each one

Punkin85 said:

any auto parts store should have breathers like this in the "chrome engine crap" accessory section

77866012.jpg

TBItoy said:
any auto parts store should have breathers like this in the "chrome engine crap" accessory section

77866012.jpg

the_white_shadow said:
Instead of building catch cans for trans/transfer case/diffs/etc, i wonder if something like this would work at the end of the vent lines? Keep the fluid in on a roll over and let it return when back on all 4s, and also provide a vent to the systems.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr/overview/

As long as the pcv sealed well at the valve cover, I would think you could use these in conjunction with each other and solve the problem.

Beerj said:
What about a ball check valve? :dunno:

My only concern with that is if I land on my side (like last time) that ball may not fully engage which would still allow for oil to flow out. Although it would probably be at a much slower rate.