• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

On-board air compressor

I'm running the viair 450c. Not the biggest compressor and tanks are only about $60 so I doubled up. Also have a 1/4" disconnect coming out of the grill to hook a hose and tools up to. Most of the pics were of the tire carrier but the tanks and lines are in those pics.

Or you can install a York or use the pancake style gm compressor. Run it for 20 years, pancake, runs impact tools as well as airing up tools. If you have the room engine driven works great.

Re:

I use a slime dual cylinder compressor. Hooks to the battery and outputs I think 120psi, so I can use it on truck and trailer tires too. Airs up 42" tire from flat to 6psi near 2 minutes.

Re:

tnford88 said:
I use a slime dual cylinder compressor. Hooks to the battery and outputs I think 120psi, so I can use it on truck and trailer tires too. Airs up 42" tire from flat to 6psi near 2 minutes.
This, Very fast machine and you can take it in what ever ride you need it in

I use a oem Sanden compressor. Block the port between the cylinder head and the swashplate/crankcase end. The run oil or grease in the crankcase side. Works just like a York but easier to find, less expensive. Probably have one on most engines out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUMA-12-VOLT-1-5-GALLON-OIL-LESS-AIR-COMPRESSOR-FREE-SHIPPING-/280790586347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41606c53eb

That's what I have in my buggy. Its about the biggest 12v one I could find. Its big enough to run low demand air tools, 100% duty cycle. I took everything apart and only used the parts that I needed. The tank was a bit big for me so I used a smaller tank.

I used Viair before this and their warranty is ****. One of the rubber gasket seals in mine was installed incorrectly from the factory. It wasn't laid completely in the groove and it was pinched / cut where the plates went together. I didn't even know this, the compressor was within a year of purchase and I called them and told them that there appeared to be water intrusion. They said sorry, can't help you, improper installation. Then I took it apart because I knew damn well it wasn't my fault and found the pinched seal. I sent them pics and they said they had no way of proving that I hadn't tampered with it. **** VIAIR. Their tiny-ass little compressor don't even match up to the Puma anyway and they're in the same price range. The Puma has been in my buggy since day 1, open to the elements, left out in the rain, towed in the rain, it doesn't care. It is a power hogg though.

What he said...although I do have a viair in my dodge and one in my buggy that have both been good to me..the one in JJ's rig is the ****. No man has ever said they had too much air power

i have a gm ac compressor and a small 3 gallon air tank, it will fill the tank in 30 seconds to 100psi, and fill up a 44 tire in a couple minutes, while it is easy to hook airlines up and make it work, and it pumps air really quickly it is not made to user for a long period of time at a single use, there is no oil in the system so the compressor gets hot and can burn up inside, so air tools would not really be an option for doing it this way, I have used this one for 5 years

yota compressor with a 3 gallon tank,used airlines double clamped,good yellow air hose.a air tank from haborfreight or cheapest!got fittings from a plumbing store.been working for 8 years.i use it on all my junk at home,run whiz wheel or body saw,even a paint gun!!!!

I have this compressor http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442867_200442867 I have it plumbed to a 3 gallon tank with a shutoff switch from a 120 volt compressor. It comes on at 90 psi, and shuts off a 110. I have about $150 in the whole setup and it works great. I have a line run to the front of the buggy with a gauge on the dash and a place to hook up to the air supply under the dash and at the back of the buggy. It work well on its own but the tank really helps out if you need a quick burst of air. If you have the room you can convert a propane tank to an air tank for your supply tank. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

RustyC said:
I use a oem Sanden compressor. Block the port between the cylinder head and the swashplate/crankcase end. The run oil or grease in the crankcase side. Works just like a York but easier to find, less expensive. Probably have one on most engines out there.

X2 on the Sanden. I adapted a Sanden out of a Mazda onto the GM serp setup instead of the GM pancake. Works great! and like RustyC said they are VERY plentiful. Imports and domestic used them.

WP_20130321_009.jpg