• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

On-board air compressor

patooyee said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUMA-12-VOLT-1-5-GALLON-OIL-LESS-AIR-COMPRESSOR-FREE-SHIPPING-/280790586347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41606c53eb

That's what I have in my buggy. Its about the biggest 12v one I could find. Its big enough to run low demand air tools, 100% duty cycle. I took everything apart and only used the parts that I needed. The tank was a bit big for me so I used a smaller tank.

I used Viair before this and their warranty is ****. One of the rubber gasket seals in mine was installed incorrectly from the factory. It wasn't laid completely in the groove and it was pinched / cut where the plates went together. I didn't even know this, the compressor was within a year of purchase and I called them and told them that there appeared to be water intrusion. They said sorry, can't help you, improper installation. Then I took it apart because I knew damn well it wasn't my fault and found the pinched seal. I sent them pics and they said they had no way of proving that I hadn't tampered with it. **** VIAIR. Their tiny-ass little compressor don't even match up to the Puma anyway and they're in the same price range. The Puma has been in my buggy since day 1, open to the elements, left out in the rain, towed in the rain, it doesn't care. It is a power hogg though.
That is the same compressor I have and love it. I was also wanting to do the same thing as you. What relay did you use or are you straight to the battery? How well do you think it would work without a tank? What size tank did you use? Basically just using it to pump up tires. Do you have any pic's of your setup?

TBItoy said:
Here is a write up on the sanden compressor mods.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-1207-homemade-engine-driven-onboard-air-system/photo-01.html

I've never has an engine driven compressor, but a couple guys I know had compressors that ran just fine by hose clamping a k&n lookin valve cover breather to the intake side and spraying it with some penetrating oil/lube when they checked the oil before each trip... Easy enough and requires zero mods.
I wish I had saw that when I did my V8 swap in my TJ.

shrek tits said:
That is the same compressor I have and love it. I was also wanting to do the same thing as you. What relay did you use or are you straight to the battery? How well do you think it would work without a tank? What size tank did you use? Basically just using it to pump up tires. Do you have any pic's of your setup?

I'm just using a standard heavy duty 40 or 50-amp 5-pin relay that I got from Del City. I don't think any compressor would run air tools well without a tank but for filling tires I don't think a tank is even necessary. Honestly, I doubt I really need a tank but I have a pneumatic-shift t-case and it would be annoying to hear it running every time I shift the case. My tank is about 1/2 gallon, very small. I could get pics of my setup but it would just be confusing because of all the lines people without pneumatic t-cases don't need.

Latest posts