• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

OTHER - King of the Hammers - February 1-6, 2015

Re: 2015 King of the Hammers

Who would pay $10 for a King of the Hammers map that you could load into your smartphone before you get out there and it'll show you where you are on the map using just the GPS in the phone? (No cell signal required)

CartoTracks said:
Who would pay $10 for a King of the Hammers map that you could load into your smartphone before you get out there and it'll show you where you are on the map using just the GPS in the phone? (No cell signal required)

I would

CartoTracks said:

How does the gps work with no cell signal?

CartoTracks said:
We're in and have been since 2011. Would definitely be interested in this.

Verizon cell service works well there on the lakebed but it fades out the further you run east. I used a Back Country Nav app on my phone to keep track of where I was and where all the trails were. It worked well, runs on GPS. I ran a track plotter to keep track of where I'd been which was pretty cool to look back at. When we got back to camp on Monday evening I checked my plotter mileage and we'd run just over 24 miles. I was like holy crap, that's awesome.

Well, I know that I started this tread but it is looking like I am no longer going to be able to make it this time around.

EMT school starts in early January for me and there just isn't a large enough window for me to be able to get out there and still be 100% focused on school.

Having said that, I hope that all of you that are going have an absolute blast! Be careful out there y'all!

So of all the guys that go from hardline, is there an area that you guys try to reserve so you pit together? Are you just scattered all over camp? Is it easy to set up in the same area? You guys go all week or just 4 day weekend?

Lol 20 questions

LightBnDr said:
So of all the guys that go from hardline, is there an area that you guys try to reserve so you pit together? Are you just scattered all over camp? Is it easy to set up in the same area? You guys go all week or just 4 day weekend?

Lol 20 questions

I camped and rode with 6 guys from middle TN. I believe they're all Hardline members.. Big Sam, Dwight Woodlee, Halcat, Steve (who bought Madram's JK buggy), Perry (Sawzall) and Nathan Witaker. You can pretty much set up camp anywhere except the driver pit area's. So, yes there's endless room and it's easy to set up together. We stayed the whole week, pulled in Sunday afternoon and rolled out the following Friday afternoon around 4pm. It's definitely a unique experience. There's no boundaries, no designated parking, no specific way you have to travel to get to the named trails. It's kinda like the lake, if you want to go somewhere you just head across the desert straight to it and you have to constantly be watching all around you bc at any moment some :tc in a U4 rig might come flying by at 70mph from any angle. It's just a whole different world out there, it's awesome.

For you all that have been there before - with all the chit chat about the sand and the wind, is it windy all the time or just at night?

Trailabite said:
For you all that have been there before - with all the chit chat about the sand and the wind, is it windy all the time or just at night?

Mostly at night but there have been a few really windy days that are miserable.

The wind blows about 364 days a year and 365 nights a year, so I guess you could say it windy more at night.

Trailabite said:

It blew so hard when we were there that canopies and tents were broken and scattered everywhere! I wouldn't even think about tent camping out there. Plenty of people do but not me.

We tent camped but we were in a fully seam sealed 4 season tent like this one. It worked great, stayed clean and dust free inside. I'm sure a regular ole coleman camping tent would not have been as desert friendly tho. It probably also helped that our tent was tucked right up next to the front bumper of halcat's :tc motorhome

Attachments

• 4 season tent.JPG
    4 season tent.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 434

Cool. Good to know. Thanks for the info. Would love to make it this year. It would be even better to link up with a convoy and drive out together

So do you always end up driving through states with snow and nasty weather?

LightBnDr said:
Cool. Good to know. Thanks for the info. Would love to make it this year. It would be even better to link up with a convoy and drive out together

So do you always end up driving through states with snow and nasty weather?

I wouldn't be totally against driving out with a group but to be honest I tow a little faster than most people prefer. I ran 80-85 pretty much the whole time, made it out there in right at 28 hours moving time according to my GPS.

On the way out it was snowing in Flagstaff Arizona but we were still in West Oklahoma at the time. By the time we got there the roads were already cleared. Then on the way back we ran through some freezing fog which was a first.. I first noticed my truck antenna whipping around in a circular pattern and then we realized that the fog was freezing to my truck and trailer. I looked like an ice sculpture driving down the interstate.

Hmm not sure I can swing 28 hrs drive time. I need a co pilot. I'll get back to you.

Towing fast is no prob though I don't usually consistently run 85. That's tough to do. I don't run 85 unloaded

Latest posts