• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Outer axle seal?

skipnrocks

I just spent a week in moab and the only damage I got was a blown axle seal. Of course being in the front is a huge pita to change all for a 20 dollar seal. I have seen some outer axle seals for the dana 60 I dont know if they have them for my 40 spline junk but was hoping this would be a good long term solution to keep from having to tear everything down every other year to replace a stupid seal.

There is no guarantee that the oil will go back into the diff after is passes the damaged seal. I run seals-it outer seals on my dana 60, but i make sure i have enough oil, because you never know if the oil is filling up in the tubes and staying there and not in the diff.

Re: Re: Outer axle seal?

SBJeepn said:
I just spent a week in moab and the only damage I got was a blown axle seal. Of course being in the front is a huge pita to change all for a 20 dollar seal. I have seen some outer axle seals for the dana 60 I dont know if they have them for my 40 spline junk but was hoping this would be a good long term solution to keep from having to tear everything down every other year to replace a stupid seal.
I'm in the same boat as you....hard to justify the labor.

The more I think about it the more I'm jus saying **** it....do it right and be done.

I'm running these in my never lift 14 bolt front

http://www.spidertrax.com/Outboard-Seal-312

So far I love them. You don't get mud and **** down inside your housing, and it keeps oil from leaking out. As a matter of fact, I'm running the Crane inner revolution seals and one of the spanners did not want to screw in so in a pinch we just left it out (short side). Well the Spidertrax outer seals are working so well I don't even know if I'll need to go back in and fix that now.

edit: I did not put a seal surface on the shaft for the Spidertrax seals either.

I hav a real part number at home for the 60 front that works the only problem with a outer seal they don't like sharp turns the seal will tear or pop out

I ran the seals it for a while. It kept the mud/dirt out of the axle tubes while the seals lasted. I want to say I had less than 10 rides before the seals fell apart.

I didn't "waste" the money to put them back in when I rebuilt the 60 for my buggy.