• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pinto Bouncer "Mean Bean"

I ran 15" wheels on my HP60, didnt have any issues just did a few mods to get htem to clear and it worked perfectly.

I've put 15" wheels on a ford 60. Just had to grind the calipers to clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If grinding doesn't sound like alota fun, there's a company(or two) that make a braket to fit standard GM 1/2 ton calipers on there. It wasn't much money....but money nontheless. Just another option for'ya out there. That was my plan when I was building an 88 Ford 60 front axle with the big dual calipers.

I was looking at an 8 lug 44 out of a Highboy using it as a reference for the wheel fitment. I don't have any of the brake parts for the Ford 60 but have everything for the Dodge so that's another reason for going Dodge.

And thanks everybody for the info, thinking the next build will get 2 1/2 tons to make everything easier!!! I got the clutch installed, engine compartment welded and painted and engine back in for the last time today. Going to be working on brake, coolant and fuel system plumbing this week. My birthday is June 7th so I want my present to myself to be a test drive in the Pinto, even if it's just out of the shop and around the parking lot!!

Got clutch master and slave cylinders mounted and working, coolant and fuel lines run, front gears setup, both driveshafts built, fan and fuel pump relays and wiring run. Had some buddies come by to help with get all that done today, VERY productive day!!!! I have to get 1 U-joint and some straps to get shafts installed. Monday I'm going to work on getting header flanges cut and start on headers. I'm getting pretty excited now, seems to be rolling on nicely now. :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

My birthday is June 7th and my plan is to drive it then, it may just be pulling it forward and backing it up but that's the goal I'm shooting for!!

I have been working on the wiring little by little these past few days and being today is my birthday I really wanted to at least hear it crank. Me and a friend of mine went through a couple things and fixed a few wires I had wrong and BOOM she busted off!!! I don't have any headers or oil filter on it so I can't actually run it but at least she popped off!! My header flanges are being cut this week and I have to get an oil filter adapter but the plan is to take it to a car show next Saturday!! It won't be finished but hopefully have it somewhat drivable for the show. Hearing it bust off got my motivation back up!!!

96crawler said:
I've been dreading doing the brake setup on the front end (HP60) ever since I got the 15 inch tires for this thing. Fords have a dual piston caliper so the odds of clearing it with a 15 inch wheel are 0. I did pick up 2 35 spline stubs on ebay for $160 so I definitely wanted to use those and they were actually for a GM or Dodge. I have 2 Dodge axles 1 Dana 61 DRW and 1 old school 60 that takes a weird lockout hub. SO here's what I came up with, I'm going to use the old school 60 knuckles, with brakes and all AND my 35 spline stubs. Now I haven't been able to find any 35 spline lockouts or drive flanges for this style hub so I'm going to build some. I laugh every time I think about it cause it will be so easy and fits the car!!! I'm taking a Dana 60 35 spline side gear and going to weld an 8 bolt flange to it to make a 1 off 35 spline drive flange.

Here's the hub with the axle sticking through

AND with the gear part of the flange

I'll get the flange part of it cut in the next week or so and that will finish the parts gathering then just have to put it all together!! Tell me what y'all think, I personally think it's funny as hell and will have some people scratching their heads for sure!!
east coast gear supply has external drive flanges

Crappy picture but front axle is done minus drive flanges. The steering will be upgraded as soon as I can get some 7/8 heims and tubing.

Finally got my header flanges done and I was just going to build a log style header but after the third tube it really looked like **** so I decided to build an actual header with 2 inch primaries, 3 inch collector.

Ok guys the pinto runs and drives now. I haven't taken it out yet other than creeping around the yard in it cause it needs a tune badly, it runs like crap. I did take it down behind my house and played in the creek a little bit and other than the rear tires rubbing it did just fine. I carried it to the local Whataburger Cruise Night last Thursday and it got a lot of looks. Anyway I took a poser shots for ya.

At Whataburger

In the driveway

Looking good man! Now build ya some rockers and rear bumper protection. Maybe do a simple exo that ties in the rockers rolled tube over rear fenders and rear bumper. :woot:

It does have a small rear bumper and rockers are in the works for it. The quarters are getting cut another 4 inches up to help with tire clearance and then it will get bump stops.

Latest posts