• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Sierra Grande poco dinero$

66stepside

The new hotness!
So i ended up getting a daily driver till the engine is up and running in the 66, or it is sold.
It's a 1978 GMC Sierra Grande 2500 4x4. Nicknamed Crusty! Got it for $300.00 will be my CHEAP TRUCK BUILD project and daily driver since the new wife drives the HD all the time.
SPECS:
14bff rear
Possible 208 transfer case..(need help determining that)
fancy white 8 lug wheels and mis-matched tires
one speaker radio
solid 400 cu in
rebuilt auto trans
and a nice Sierra grande-ish seat cover.

A lil crusty but not too bad
9ca711013079qm9.jpg

Sierra Grande ...need i say more...perhaps but lets see how far I can take this thing with as little $$ as possible.
ea0695e3bdbeoj5.jpg

Well I dont know much about 4x4's but I am willing and able to learn. This is a 14BFF...found out from some nice fellah on POR.
c5ae9dfe3d6bng6.jpg

seems like you all are not interested in a build unless it is choped, locked, or abortioned in some manner:(. Very sad...soo is there a more appropriate board that you could direct me towards for information or support since I dont know anyone up in the NW.

Thanks for your time.

is all i drive is full sizes i have had 3 so far at 19 not including my ricer years. Its a cool truck but ur not gonna get any feedback posting up pics of a junker u just got put pics when u start work on it or right before. I'm sorry but as u said not very many people care here that u just scored an old fullsize chevy. I love it and the only way u'll get the jap truck guys attention is to make it impressive and to stand out. So dontr get discouraged or bummed just show them up. build sumthing that they wont be able to stop looking at or wondering how u did and why didnt i think of that from a fullsize. I love it i think ur truck is sweet show some progress or post up ur plans get creative if it aint a DD then start chopping and bending tube make a sweet trail rig. Heres a link to my ford Fullsizes rock!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2535810
and my jeep project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2272092

keep it up NW aint that bad i've lived here all my life and never wheeled in anything other then an american iron truck!!! Its possible ur driving style just has to adapt

Well allright thanks for the vote of confidence i kinda needed that today.
I would like to keep it relitively low and run fiberglass front fenders maybe 4" flare and a half exo-ed body. Not that it is anything to be proud of just yet but think it would be neat to try just to see if I can do it. Bob the bed as much as possible but does not seem like much to bob considering the frame lenght prior to the rear axle. But I am going to try to run at least a 37" tire with teh least amount of lift and think I am capable of doing that as I ran a 33" tire on my nissan frontier 2wd prerunner with 2" lift uca's and 4" fiberglass, with a nice offset on teh wheel.

Take care and thanks for the kind words all.

Yeah if you are trying to build a cheap truck project i can help you out. I also know atleast a descent amount about fullsizes especially chevy's and fords. Since thats about all I ever work on it seems. I'm only 19 but i have been in auto classes since 16 and around cars since i was born. I first thing i learned to do was rebuild a chevy 350 from my grandpa at age 9 (obviously he did the most but i threw in my 2 cents). the nice thing about fullsizes is there is alot of sheet metal meaning alot more to work with and u can easily put 35 on with no lift and just cut ur fenders not pretty but it works and u keep a low center or gravity. But if u ever interested in going 4 wheeling with some fullsize trucks me and a few friends (77 ford 78chevy81blazer 72blazer) go out to reiter alot more now that we got all our rigs fixed from out last weekend long trial run. the carnage was so bad that my camera was ever broken and water doomed.

that is waht I have been looking for...some other fullsize people. I get discouraged a lot becasue I keep hearing that a fullsize is no good up here. I am not ne to worry about body damage...have you seen the condition it is in now!?
So yeah as soon as I get my hands on a set of tires for my 16" wheels, which I hope is soon I will for sure take the sawzall to the grande and head on out with you guys. I dont get much time to do this kinda stuff due to too many deployemnts lately.

glad to hear it yeah we actually just did the fatal blows to our cheap truck on new years 4 trees a stump a trailer 1 rollover and a 3 minute long burnout with bleach to mark the new years ended in a very blown up motor and destroyed drivetrain but 800 was well worth it. I mean i wheel with yotas and all alike but in my mind nothing is better then the huge motor huge frame hurky drivetrain classic bodylines and long lasting amering name of a fullsize makes all the extra beauty marks make it all worth wild.

hmm just found a deal on 37" tires!! soo looks like I might be getting some interesting pics up very soon. sooo ehh any of you have a sawzall I can borrow?

Have you figured out what transfer case you have yet? I'm guessing its a 203 or 205 but not a 208. All original drivetrain in that thing you think?

i wouldnt go with glass fenders. too fragile for tight NW trails. i would go to town on the bed with a lazer level, and a sawzall. bob, and dovetail it. narrow the front up, and enjoy the increased mobility around the trees here. there will be a little round tag on the T case that has model number. if its aluminum, its a 208, if its cast iron, its either a 203, or 205, and if you have hubs, its not a 203 (unless its got a part time conversion kit.) trim as much fat off the rig as you can, for its a heavy pig, and you will be blowing shafts, and other stuff, in the front axle (weather it be a D44 or a 10 bolt) i wouldnt lift it at all, spend your money on a sawzall, and hack until the tires fit. then you will have a much lower COG without lift, and the same clearence at the diffs. 37's with no lift and the correct BS on the wheel shouldnt be hard. also, before you start beating on it, i would reinforce/gusset the frame around the steering box.

Dont give up yet, were not all small guys I am in the process of building a Fullsize jeep truck right now. I am going to post it when I am finished, I am also on a small budget, I got a 1 year old at home..
Fullsizes are cool and we are starting to see more capable almost full bodied rigs on the trail. Build what you want not what others say is "cool".

how much would u buy it for? Always looking for a chance to take on a new project. I love the thing but funds are coming in short right now and having the thing outside my house in the neighborhood i live in is starting to cause problems

Latest posts