• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question about gears

Re:

I hate when everybody says just do it yourself. :wtflol: 1.) Gotta know how or have someone show you how 2.) Gotta have the tools. I know it's hard for some of you master mechanics to dumb yourself back down to newbie level on some ****, but damn. :wtflol:

Re: Question about gears

I do mine myself. I only screwed up 4 gear sets before I bought the right tools and was taught properly. Those first 5-6 sets were expensive lessons! They aren't difficult to do but I don't see anyone actually learning to set up gears properly on YouTube. With a pinion depth gauge, pinion bearing puller, carrier bearing puller, bearing heater, magnetic dial indicator and some patience they can be done easily.

There is so much info out there, why not do it yourself. Everyone says "do it yourself" because in the end it saves money and gives the newbie experience. I paid to have my first r&p setup by bluetoy, but I watched and learned. Haven't had to pay since. If your going to make a go at this sport you must 1. Have deep pockets, and pay others to fix your rig or 2. Buy the necessary tools and save thousands doing it yourself.

IMO pirate is about the best tech forum available, there are a few tards on there but you can't beat the tech. No excuses Josh why you can't do 95% of your upgrades/maintenance on your rig. A $1000 labor bill will buy a lot of tools.

Re:

You nailed when you said you paid to have your first r&p set up, then learned from there. Everybody has to start somewhere and everyone is always at a different level. If the guy is already pricing labor and posting here asking about it, he's likely gonna have to pay someone else first and learn from there if he cares anything about learning how to do it himself.

Nobody comes into this hobby with everything needed to build and work on ****, especially with the knowledge it takes to do most of it. I still don't have much of either. Not everyone has the resources that most of you do. It just aggravates me to read "ah, just do it yourself" when if the OP could do it himself, why would he post up here pricing labor?

This deal can either save you some cash by doing it yourself, or cost you alot extra if you don't get them set right. I own an offroad shop and have had many jobs come in here that the customer created alot of damge by trying to do it himself. I have seen brand new arbs/lockers, housings and gears ruined from improper installation. If you are confident that you can do a good job and get everything right, then go for it, if you are not so sure, then by paying someone who has successfully set up many sets of gears, it may save you some money too!

And don't let anyone help you that doesn't use a pinion depth gauge. And stay away from pro gears, They are not designed to take the bearings we put on them.

I'll be first to tell ya.... I pretty much don't know ****!! :dunno: But the OP said he can pull the axles and this will save a lot on the labor by him dropping the centers out himself. I DON'T set up my own gears either and I'm damn sure no mechanic. :****: But I like to play hard and I break **** ( 14 bolt chromoly axle, twisted Dana 60 inner, sheared Dana 60 pinion...) :dblthumb: Ya get the idea?? All I'm saying is for him to tear it down and put it back together himself ,not set up the R/P.I've just got basic tools and an iPhone myself.....Dude was looking to save some $$$. That's one way to do it! My $.02 ;D

Re: Re: Question about gears

You can't "drop the centers" on a 60 or 14b so wtf are you talking about?

And josh if the OP didn't insinuate that installing gears is a quick easy job and he thought the labor was too high on a "drive in drive out" job then no one would have told him to do it himself.

I myself working out of my home shop wouldn't touch a f/r re gear on tons in a vehicle for less than $750

2000$ dollars vs the 75$ dollars I spent to setup a toy 3rd that I pulled is a big difference. I was just making the point that it pays to learn in the long run in this sport. I'm done.

Sound like the $500 labor is pretty cheap from what everybody else is getting. May be cheaper to put bigger motor in it and leave the gears alone. :dblthumb:

Elliott said:
And don't let anyone help you that doesn't use a pinion depth gauge.

Why?? :popcorn: I've set up many sets without a depth gauge. It just takes a little longer if installing on a bare housing. On a housing that you pull the gears out of the shims used on the existing pinion are normally correct or really close for the new gear set.

Re: Question about gears

I currently work for an off-road shop and we charge right around $2000 to drive in and out. We only use good stuff and replace everything including cleaning the center section and axle tubes out completely. With most shops you are paying $2000 to get gears installed and not to have to come back to have them done twice. In 14 years of doing this I've only seen a handful of successful DIY gear installs. those few took their time and asked thousands of questions. $2000 sounds high until someone roasts a pair of $1000 arb's and $1000 worth of gears/install kits.

All that said the only reason I can do what I do to my junk is cause I don't have to pay anyone to do it. I'd still be rocking a stock yota with a bed full of spare birfeilds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about gears

johneddie said:
Excuse me...... Pull the carriers out after removing the axles :flipoff1:

How is that going to get you any closer to a gear setup?

Unless he tears down the axles, cleans them, trailers the rig to a shop with only empty housings under it, they unload it with a forklift and put it in their shop (or he reinstalls the front spindles and hubs to get it rolling, or pulls the housings from the rig entirely)

and literally pays them to ONLY install the gears.

They're softer gears made for drag racing . They're made to take a hit and go. Think about how these big tires work, they usually are loading and unloading very fast aka bouncin. I've seen stock gears last longer than pro gears time and time again. And as far as gears being easy to set up, my theory is this How many times have you seen someone run a stock set of gears forever then finally break a set, then they just start breaking them right and left.And then all you hear is how it's just a pos Dana 60 and they are just not strong enough, when in fact the new gears are just not getting set up right which should be obvious because the original stock set lasted for so long.Most people don't realize how hard it is to get the crush right, which sets the preload on the pinion bearings, 9 out of 10 gears I have went back in and fixed after someone has tried themselves this has been the major problem. What this will do is cause the pinion to bounce off the ring gear and cause cracks which results in broken teeth.

Most stock factory gears have been "seasoned" aka worn in and tough assuming that they were always run in decent oil.

I assume lots of people just take fresh new gears out and beat on them without heat cycling them a few times (which can be hard to do on a rock crawler anyway)