• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Radial Tires

Sniper

37"/38" Radial Tires for Snow Wheeling and Street...

Hope this is the correct forum for this. It's probably been brought up many times before, but I'm really getting desperate.

Okay I need help choosing a decent street/trail and snow wheeling 'RADIAL' tire in a 37"/38" height for a 15" wheel. I'm not planning on swapping to 16" or 17" wheels because I run Hutchinson Dual Beadlock wheels and like way the way they work at the very low single digit air pressures I run in snow...

TSL Radial Irok
37"12.50"x15"

TSL Truxs Radial MT
37"x12:50"x15"

TSL M16
37"x13.50"x15

TSL Radial Swamper
38"15.50"x15"

(All these TSL's only have 2 Ply sidewalls available in these sizes, except the Radial Swamper, which has me concerned. Any comments?)

Nitto Mud Grappler
38"x15.50"x15"

Pitbull Rocker Radial
37"x12.50"x15"

Toyo Mud Country
37"14.50"x15"

So if anyone who has actually owned and wheeled these tires (particularly in the snow) could comment on their performance, durability and wear characteristics, it would be greatly appreciated.

If I've missed any tires in the 37"/38" size ('Radial Only') for a 15" wheel please let me know of the brand/model and of there performance advantage(s)/dis-advantage(s).

The vehicle is a 3,600lb. Jeep LJ and will be driven for hours on the Hwy. (I even tow a ski boat for a few hours occasionally) so a tire that balances and runs decent at Hwy. speeds is very important. Thanks for the assistance all...:awesomework:

Last edited:
These are the current hot ticket for your application - Pitbull Rocker Radial 37"x12.50"x15"

Yup...PBR FTW!!! Have seen first hand how well they perform. O how I want a set for the YJ in the snow...:hello:
If you are up for a wheel change to 17", the MTR Kevlar is also a good tire especially if you want a quieter tire on road, but I'd still go with the PBR overall...

I have been And will be stuck in the 36" range for a bit, but ran 36 tsl radials for @2yrs in all the northwest conditions and were hands down the best traction in all.....with that being said I won't ever run a set again (on a wheeler anyways) because they wouldn't hold up. separated plys on 3 and a couple were casualty to sidewall damage. I have always been a swamper dude, thornbirds, boggers, tsl's, sx's ,radials and now I run irocks. #2 for traction in my ranking is the SX's then the irocks, for my experience in the northwest stuff...:awesomework:

These are the current hot ticket for your application - Pitbull Rocker Radial 37"x12.50"x15"

Just sold those exact tires to my buddy, I love my 39.5 rockers. Just a heads up though the pitbull rockers run small, the 37s are about the same size as a 35

Just sold those exact tires to my buddy, I love my 39.5 rockers. Just a heads up though the pitbull rockers run small, the 37s are about the same size as a 35

I'll take a closer look at the PBR's, thanks for the sizing tip.
Grooving and siping tires is nothing new to me as I have my own groover. The PBRockers didn't come across as a great looking snow tire w/o some grooving anyways (although looks can often be deceiving when analyzing the traction of tire treads).

Can anyone offer some more firsthand experieces with PBRockers in Northwest snow conditions. Right now Iroks seem to be the go to tire for our winter conditions both radial and bias work very well in the white stuff.

Even if the Rockers are not hands down the best, but offer decent street manners and still will hold their own in the snow I just may go with a set.

Thanks to all who have posted up on this topic, it is helpful to hear from other wheelers as to what works and does not. Please keep it coming...

Hi all,

I have a buddy that runs the 37 X 12.5R15 radial IROKs on his V-8 powered FJ40 and they perform very well, including in/on snow.

Like all radial tires, they have thinnish side walls, but this is why they bulge out so nicely while aired-down.

Regards,

Alan

Hope this is the correct forum for this. It's probably been brought up many times before, but I'm really getting desperate.

Okay I need help choosing a decent street/trail and snow wheeling 'RADIAL' tire in a 37"/38" height for a 15" wheel. I'm not planning on swapping to 16" or 17" wheels because I run Hutchinson Dual Beadlock wheels and like way the way they work at the very low single digit air pressures I run in snow...

TSL Radial Irokdffey
37"12.50"x15"

TSL Truxs Radial MT
37"x12:50"x15"

TSL M16
37"x13.50"x15

TSL Radial Swamper
38"15.50"x15"

(All these TSL's only have 2 Ply sidewalls available in these sizes, except the Radial Swamper, which has me concerned. Any comments?)

Nitto Mud Grappler
38"x15.50"x15"

Pitbull Rocker Radial
37"x12.50"x15"

Toyo Mud Country
37"14.50"x15"

So if anyone who has actually owned and wheeled these tires (particularly in the snow) could comment on their performance, durability and wear characteristics, it would be greatly appreciated.

If I've missed any tires in the 37"/38" size ('Radial Only') for a 15" wheel please let me know of the brand/model and of there performance advantage(s)/dis-advantage(s).

The vehicle is a 3,600lb. Jeep LJ and will be driven for hours on the Hwy. (I even tow a ski boat for a few hours occasionally) so a tire that balances and runs decent at Hwy. speeds is very important. Thanks for the assistance all...:awesomework:

Look at some Twin Lakes Runs in the Trail Chatter section...You will see ALOT of PBR's on rigs, and more and more showing up all the time...

Look at some Twin Lakes Runs in the Trail Chatter section...You will see ALOT of PBR's on rigs, and more and more showing up all the time...

I'll do just that, thanks.

The PBR radials in the 37"x12.50"x15" are very heavy at almost 90Lbs. I was thinking of Toyo's at one point, but their 90+lb. weight and so-so snow capabilities turned me off. It would be nice to keep the weight under 75Lbs. however I'm still investigating the PBR's.

Also I would prefer about 14.50" section width using my 8" wheels (which is more like a 15.30" SW as measured on a 10" wheel), but regarding tread width 11"+ width would be nice.

Anyone know how well Radial Iroks wear on the street and/or how strong their 2 Ply side-wall strength is?

The PBR's on paper (Co.'s specifications section) are wider in the Bias version as compared to the Radial (is it coincidence? Swampers bias tires are wider then the radial version too). I do get how radials will fill out a little better then a bias tire (when aired down low), but do they fill out better enough to compensate for an inch or more narrower section width/tread width to start with.

ie.) Is a 37"x12,50"x15" Radial tire equal to 37"x13.50"x15" Bias tire when aired down for flotation in snow?

Keep the thoughts/comments coming I'm planning on buying a new set of tires asap...

Last edited:
I'm currently running radial PBR's in a 37" and love them. I have ran irocs in the past and they seemed to work good everywhere but the mud. My second wheeler is getting close to needed tires so I will be looking for another set of PBR's.:awesomework:

I'm currently running radial PBR's in a 37" and love them. I have ran irocs in the past and they seemed to work good everywhere but the mud. My second wheeler is getting close to needed tires so I will be looking for another set of PBR's.:awesomework:

Thanks for your input:awesomework:, I'm really starting to seriously look at buying PBR's for my next tire. Does anyone have any complaints about the PBR's on the street and where are you guys buying your PBR's (best prices/availability), thank you...

I currently run 17" Rock Monster double bead locks and 35" radial PBRs. I love them. I get out and wheel all sorts of **** but snow wheeling is my favorite. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned with the extra weight of the tire. You kind of threw weight concerns out the window when you went with Hutchinsons as I did. Most, if not all RADIAL PBRs measure out to true or better. Bias do not. A 35" measures out to 35 1/4" and 37" are true when new. I have also seen 37" PBR in the snow. They do great.

Just a heads up, I get vibrations from the combo I am running. I've had them balanced a couple times. Still a little bit of vibrations. It comes and goes. I don't mind it since it's my wheeler. Some day I will get off my ass and pull them apart and stuff BBs in there.

I currently run 17" Rock Monster double bead locks and 35" radial PBRs. I love them. I get out and wheel all sorts of **** but snow wheeling is my favorite. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned with the extra weight of the tire. You kind of threw weight concerns out the window when you went with Hutchinsons as I did. Most, if not all RADIAL PBRs measure out to true or better. Bias do not. A 35" measures out to 35 1/4" and 37" are true when new. I have also seen 37" PBR in the snow. They do great.

Just a heads up, I get vibrations from the combo I am running. I've had them balanced a couple times. Still a little bit of vibrations. It comes and goes. I don't mind it since it's my wheeler. Some day I will get off my ass and pull them apart and stuff BBs in there.

Great info given, it's very good to know the Radial Rockers measure true as that was the one fact holding me back (other then the weight) from ordering these this week.

I'm going to give some balancing beads a go as they worked well to tame some 36" SX's I ran.
I know what you mean about the weight, but since the Hutchinson wheels are heavy I was hoping to save weight where ever I can. The hutchinson's were a trade off of weight over performance that I happily give up as they offer the ability to run hard even at 1Lb. Psi. pressures no matter the terrain.

Thanks to all those for posting up and if you have more to add please do.

It looks like it will be Pitbulls instead of Iroks this time, thanks to all your input.:awesomework:

Last edited:
thats weird that the 15" radials are 2 ply sides.:puke: look at the 16" iroks and trxus mt, 3 ply sides. iv always wanted to try the irok ND. 37x16 NDs, nice n light.
15" rim w 37s on a narrow rim doesnt sound like a good dd combo to me, great in snow surely tho.

thats weird that the 15" radials are 2 ply sides.:puke: look at the 16" iroks and trxus mt, 3 ply sides. iv always wanted to try the irok ND. 37x16 NDs, nice n light.
15" rim w 37s on a narrow rim doesnt sound like a good dd combo to me, great in snow surely tho.

Some of the larger TSL's in the 15" wheel size come with 3Ply sidewalls i.e..) Irok 39.5 Radial has 3PLy

You think a 8" rim is to narrow for a 37"x12.50"x15" on a daily driver? Why? Why wouldn't you think a wider (dual bead-lock) wheel would be better in the snow?

Some of the larger TSL's in the 15" wheel size come with 3Ply sidewalls i.e..) Irok 39.5 Radial has 3PLy

You think a 8" rim is to narrow for a 37"x12.50"x15" on a daily driver? Why? Why wouldn't you think a wider (dual bead-lock) wheel would be better in the snow?

you mentioned 14.5 wide above, but i see youre talking SW. 8" with a 12.5 sounds good.
im more familiar with the "generic" brands in radial MTs tho, havin bought a few in the 30-35" range where you have many offerings in the 3 ply sidewalls, just seems silly with 15" irok radials you have to step up to 39.5 to get it. and they weigh more and cost a fortune compared to bias. i guess i just would never consider an irok on a dd personally. then again, i wouldnt want my wheeler to be my dd either. but i drive a lot and often in a hurry.. . blah blah..:beer:

The pitbulls are the best all around tire for NW wheeling! They wear well on the street too.:awesomework: