• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Raditor repair

Pat

I've got a hole in the plastic lower tank on my raditor, looking for ideas on how to fix it. Don't ask how it happened, I will just admit upfront to being a dumbass. It's about 1/4" X 3/4" hole, and I have access to both sides since it's near the outlet. Can I plug the hole with a bolt and nut and seal it up somehow? RTV? Jb weld? I would rather repair than replace if possible, the things not that old.

I've found that Napa part number 765-2420 works quite well. Called "Plastic Welding System". Super high strength. Bonds almost anything, but works really well on plastic. Make sure to clean surfaces well. (Not recommended for Polyethylene or Polypropylene plastics. Not recommended above 200*)

That said, the swap meet is in a week. Buy a good used radiator there.

Last edited:
It's a 94 yj, 2.5L. The spot is pretty flat, I'll see if I can get a pic. I was thinking new rad also, but this one is (was) pretty new so I was hoping to try a repair first.

Here is the damage. It was a nice little 3/16 hole for a millisecond, then the drill walked sideways.:mad:

Last edited:
you could try some JB weld, but you would be better off getting a new radiator.

Worth a shot if you could get a bolt and nut in there and JB weld it in like you said. If not, oh well... you needed a new radiator anyway, right? :redneck:

sand it up good and go to walmart and get some two part plastic epoxy, it will work fine. remember the radiator cap only hold 13 to 15 psi so the repair doesnt have to hold much. just hold good so clean and sand it good. push some through the hole and spread it inside a little so it gets bigger inside, then it cant come loose even if bumped hard.

looks like a drill did that:mad:

you could even cut a small patch a couple of inches square and screw it on with some sheetmetal screws and some sealer.

Last edited:
You could probly seal that just fine with some patch material and some JB weld, if you prep properly, and cover enough area to give the JB weld some strength.

I'd go get a nice new copper radiator though. They aren't that expensive.

Drill it out to a 1" hole and insert a new hillbilly quick drain plug :redneck:

Snap%20Drain%20Plugs.jpg

Just don't screw up the hole this time :fawkdancesmiley:

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/S...008&siteID=AMEomvFwTjQ-Ny4w4tT9hBxUbQnaC1CWAw

or you could just have a new tank crimped on there.

This stuff looks cool, I might try that since it turns out there is no room for a bolt (stupid oil cooler in the tank).

How do I get a new tank crimped on? Radiator shop or can it be done at home?
If I go that route could I get an Aluminum tank?

I'm getting closer to just ordering a new one,
but if there's any way to save a couple hundred...

Radiator shop can do the new tank; might not be a bad idea---that way they can check the cooler too!! You sure don't want any nicks in it...BAD JOOJOO!!