• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rear steer help

Im in front of a keyboard now so let me go deeper on my thoughts on this one.

A single ended ram draws down on a reservoir to push out the rod. It will in turn fill the reservoir back up when it collapses the rod back in. A double ended cylinder does not do this it just circulates the fluid around the system, this is fact not idea.

If a front and rear steer setup using 2 single ended rams is plumbed incorrectly it should barely have enough fluid in a regular reservoir to fill the cylinders, you would really want reservoir that was double in size, you might be able to make it work but having more fluid would help keep the temps down. And what I mean is this, think about how much fluid it takes to fill 2 - 2" bore 8" stroke cylinders like are on most rigs. you really need enough in storage to fill both cylinders at once, and you're going to have to have enough storage to put the fluid back when the cylinders are compressed all the way in, that's a lot of fluid if you stop and think about it.

I'm not sure on what your particular problem is but I bet psc can figure it out, I just keep thinking maybe It is not able to to push out some excess fluid that is in the system and when you go full lock it is over riding your rear steer valve. I know every system I have mounted I fill the system with the cylinders mounted like it was driving straight so you have the cylinder in the middle of its stroke. So it is actually over filled, and when you start going lock to lock it will push out some fluid till it gets the system where it needs to be, If yours is not able to get it out fast enough it probably could override the rear valve.Take the top of the res and try it back and forth a few times and see if it still does it.

Might not help but just some thing to think about.

You have tried two of the same valves? I say you have the wrong style of valve.

I think we are are goin with a different valve. One that is made for rear steer. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Thanks

Elliott said:
Im in front of a keyboard now so let me go deeper on my thoughts on this one.

A single ended ram draws down on a reservoir to push out the rod. It will in turn fill the reservoir back up when it collapses the rod back in. A double ended cylinder does not do this it just circulates the fluid around the system, this is fact not idea.

If a front and rear steer setup using 2 single ended rams is plumbed incorrectly it should barely have enough fluid in a regular reservoir to fill the cylinders, you would really want reservoir that was double in size, you might be able to make it work but having more fluid would help keep the temps down. And what I mean is this, think about how much fluid it takes to fill 2 - 2" bore 8" stroke cylinders like are on most rigs. you really need enough in storage to fill both cylinders at once, and you're going to have to have enough storage to put the fluid back when the cylinders are compressed all the way in, that's a lot of fluid if you stop and think about it.

I'm not sure on what your particular problem is but I bet psc can figure it out, I just keep thinking maybe It is not able to to push out some excess fluid that is in the system and when you go full lock it is over riding your rear steer valve. I know every system I have mounted I fill the system with the cylinders mounted like it was driving straight so you have the cylinder in the middle of its stroke. So it is actually over filled, and when you start going lock to lock it will push out some fluid till it gets the system where it needs to be, If yours is not able to get it out fast enough it probably could override the rear valve.Take the top of the res and try it back and forth a few times and see if it still does it.

Might not help but just some thing to think about.

A single ended ram will use more fluild to extend the cylinder then to retract, but both side have fluid just the retract side has the rod to displace part of the fluid.

If it is truly and open center valve pressure should have nothing to do with it moving on its own. Open center should be just like adding a coupling to the system. Just an open port when in center.

have both valves you have tried been modified?

Yes, a single ended cylinder would use a little more in one direction but not a lot. I'm thinking maybe half quart between the two, could do quick calc and know for sure. If there's a reservoir in the system that amount should not cause the issue being seen. I'm pretty sure with the right valve the problem will go away.

I have single ended rams in the front and back and using a PSC rear steer valve. Works flawless. I am using my original PSC reservoir from when i had front steering only and single pump. I just fill the reservoir with both ram shafts all the way in and keep it pretty full. It has not been a problem. I would try a PSC rear steer valve to solve your problem. It isn't much more money than the valve you have from northern and is made for a steering application.

2493FB75-5DE9-41DC-A158-A5C95B35999B_zpsb6osgd7e.png

I should here my new valve in tonight an maybe I can find a sec to put it on.
Thanks guys. I'll let y'all know what happens.