• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build

Re: Rigamortis - '81 Toyota Build

Looks good. Keep on beatin on that tough little bee itch

Welds look good. When I started on my build I had never welded anything. Buddy gave me the basics on a borrowed welder. Only way to learn it is get in there and get your hands dirty

Yotanut said:
Welds look good. When I started on my build I had never welded anything. Buddy gave me the basics on a borrowed welder. Only way to learn it is get in there and get your hands dirty

Thanks..

I struggled a little at first. Once I figured out the whole controlling your puddle thing, I got loads better.

Someone check my wiring just to make sure I'm not missing anything..

Running a GM 1-wire ALT already.. Power shouldn't go to the push till I flip the switch the way I have it sketched out!

6792D9D2-9974-41EA-B11A-9D074AFA1887.jpg

And the propane solenoid will work off the same IGN flip switch and be grounded to the inner fender. I forgot to draw it in.

The way you have it will work but something to consider is keeping the start button hot all the time...but letting the ign switch control power to the ign. That way you can turn the motor over without it firing if you need to. Its rare, but I've used it several times on my rig when working in the shop to check compression or whatever. Are you running a master cut off switch as the ign switch or what?

Good point.

I was gonna hide a master cut off later like under the dash or something..

Dwill817 said:
Good point.

I was gonna hide a master cut off later like under the dash or something..

Master cut off should be something in an easily accessed position so anyone can get to it. Think if you rolled and get knocked out...passenger should be able to reach over and shut it off. Or...someone that runs up to check on you should be able to reach in and flip it off.

If you want to have a "security" switch that's easy enough to do as well. Simplest way I can think of is to put a toggle of some sort inline with the hot wire going to the push button start and hide it out of sight. That way if you leave it parked somewhere you can flip that switch and make sure that power won't be able to get to the push button.

This is the switch I am using.. Anyone should know to hit the big red switch, so I guess I was planning on it being my master disconnect. Kind of why I bought it cause it screams flip me..

A25BEDCA-230D-4FE2-B812-9BFF9BA99E14.jpg

I was just thinking of the master disconnect as the security switch cause it'd kill all the power so no one could crank my truck without knowing where it was. So that was my confusion..

Typically those switches are only used for one item such as ignition or lights or whatever. Master disconnects are used to supply power from the battery to multiple accessories. Since you're running propane you have a fewless items, but typically these would include electric fan, fuel pump, ignition, lights, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is that switch you show would be good for killing your ignition which should shut the truck off, but it would leave all other accessories powered up which could be an issue.

clemsonjeep said:
Typically those switches are only used for one item such as ignition or lights or whatever. Master disconnects are used to supply power from the battery to multiple accessories. Since you're running propane you have a fewless items, but typically these would include electric fan, fuel pump, ignition, lights, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is that switch you show would be good for killing your ignition which should shut the truck off, but it would leave all other accessories powered up which could be an issue.

I think your misunderstanding me..

I wasn't gonna run a bunch of accessories through that switch.. It was going to have 2 items on it. The ignition first and foremost. (with the push button being for the starter, obviously)

So that switch panel is only to start the truck and to supply power so that it'll run. I am going to add my propane solenoid to it because it needs to be cut on and off with the truck.. I don't wanna have to cut power on to it separately every time I want to crank my truck.

All other accessories will have their own switches and be cut on and off on an "as-needed" basis... I don't have any extra junk on my truck. Its kinda been the whole point of everything I've been doing lately.. Strip it down to the point its pretty much just me and a motor. I may have 2 or 3 accessory switches.. Brakelights, headlights.... About it.

As far as a master disconnect, I like to think of it as a kill switch.. Not as a switch to cut power to everything on my truck. I just want it to cut the thing off if I roll bad or something. After I wake up, I can cut the headlights off if I really need to.

I could run all accessories and the IGN to a power distribution block and then run the main power wire through a switch and it would be a master kill switch for everything then, but those blocks are like $30. I'm cheap and I'll save $30 by flipping an extra switch or two..

I know what you mean though. Its like the master switch on a boat. Nothing works till you flip it..

Got it all wired today and fired it up! Pretty easy stuff..

Runs for a sec then sputters and dies. Idk what the deal is.. Didn't have time to mess with it a whole lot..

It's gettin fuel and the timing is good.. About 10* ahead which ain't perfect for 'pane but it should fire and run enough for me to advance it..

Gotcha...is the power to the electric cut off a constant source or is it losing connection and turning the fuel off?

Yeah it's wired in to the IGN switch..

I was thinking.. I didn't have any coolant in there... I know i know I forgot to fill er up before I tried ;D ... But maybe the propane is freezing up when it hits the mixer so it's enough to fire it off but its freezes before it gets going good.. Only thing I can think of.

Started on a bumper last night.. Wanted to practice on something smaller before I started my cage..

I think it's looking pretty good.. Harder than I thought.. And time consuming.

All finished besides paint and a couple welds.. I think it turned out pretty good for my first bumper and first time bending tube 100% on my own..

6F3D2446-EBEC-4457-B1EE-A28518C3872D.jpg

89BF4F9C-E6F4-4185-8943-F607F18FF6C0.jpg

natedawgxj said:
Looking good man.... Can't wait to see it finished maybe u can keep up with me then.... Lol

Idk about all that, but I'll give it my best shot..

i just wanna make it up Backside without breaking molaugh

Latest posts