• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock bouncer front axle beef???

redneckengineered said:
I know it seems like old news to us between all the info here and on Pirate but I'd say the vast majority of trail riders out there have no real clue about this stuff. Heck, the axle didn't even exist until 10 years ago which is like a blink of an eye when you compare it to when the 60 and 14 bolt hit the market. It'll take awhile for the aftermarket to catch up and even then it'll be a niche.

Yeah I agree entirely.

Dana 60 swaps were rare and "extreme" until the late 90s early 2000s I'd say.

And even then a set of stock Spicer 35 spline stubs and the forged "Spicer Life" u joints were considered a well built axle.

Hell the aftermarket for the 14b has only been real active for a few years, and now we finally have parts to bridge the gap between "stock welded up one ton rear" and "full race trophy truck chromo housing dropout"

Eventually the 05+ hp60 will become the "new standard" and retubing to fit your build will be the norm rather than "extreme".

Companies like Artec will build truss/link systems to work WITH the huge radius arm mounts, instead of everyone freaking out about cutting them off

Jtremor said:
does anyone know if the spidertrax unit will interchange with the 05+ super duty dana 60 unit bearing?

It won't. Its designed for 99-04 axles. I asked them if they intend to release something similar for 05+ axles and their response was, "We might be working on something but that is all I can say."

Since this kinda became the SD60 thread I thought I'd share this here. I see a lot of people asking what pliers to use for the axle snap rings. I personally have gone through 3 others fighting with them and getting nowhere. Seems like these ones are the trick. Just thought I'd pass that along.

My friend had a hard time with the snap rings too. I confiscated a pair from work and they have been great. They're Proto 377.

The newest option for sd60 highsteer. Well maybe not the newest since its just pieces of steel welded on but it's available as a kit. Looks pretty beefy. I've got one ordered.

blacksheep10 said:
I know we don't give a **** as you aren't going any amount of fast, but damn, looks reverse ackermanish

It's supposedly neutral ackerman, reason being that they don't think people care about ackerman that much and having proper ackerman on those axles makes fitting the steering inside a highly offset wheel difficult. I'm a big fan of positive ackerman though.

Angle of pic. I have no problem with neutral. Thought it looked like neg quite a ways, and that is like having a rock and putting steering on front and steering off factory hole. Inside tire doesn't want to turn. If its neutral, that would be just right for what we do. Not sure about bouncing that, but I'm overly cautious about things. Work great for regular wheeling.

So for us dummies, Ackerman is essentially the reason the inner tire looks like it's turned harder than the outside tire? Right?

Ok I've still been gathering money for this axle build. I talked with randle key at the tanner ride about the Rockwell outers he runs on rage and seen where showtime was sporting a set . So I guess I'm gonna go that route with my knuckles.

What do yall think about running 16 spline Molly Rockwell axle shafts in a 14 front? Just machine some 16 spline side gears and weld em in my carrier and rock out? And if I have problem with them upgrade to 40 spline later?

I also noticed it didn't look finished and it looks like someone did one massive pass. I'm sure it will work just ugly... "Turn up the heat, it'll stick"

traveler said:
anybody notice the .250 wall sleeves to get down to 3.5 tube

yep

seems like if someone was custom building Cs/Knuckles, they'd just bore the inner C to the right size...

I think if I was spending the sizeable chunk of change to build a custom steer axle, I'd want it "right" or at least what I see as "right" ie: finish welded and sized for my axle tube...

But who knows, the knuckles may not be finished, and he may plan on knocking the sleeves out and running bigger axle tubes... That's what happens when you post a pic and just say "front axle beef"...

hayitsray said:
I'm just wondering if they are anything that y'all are not going to hate on ??? Yes they are welded on the inside yes it has a sleeve but will work fine I'm not hard on my rig yes it's 3 1/2in tube top guys been running 3 1/2in for a long time really needed something that would hold 40spline and for me these will work great "same Cs and knuckles underrated is running and holding up strong"

I haven't said much on your threads prior to this but I can't resist. I also can't speak for everyone, but 99% of us aren't "hating". Asking questions is how people learn. If you don't like people asking questions you need to stop posting pictures. People love to see what others are building , even what you are building. Coming off a vacation with your typing fingers blazing isn't going to win our respect. Not that you care obviously. You may try taking it down a notch. There aren't many people I don't see eye to eye with on here. Even the one I disagree with a lot I would still help get out of the woods. There are lots of great people on here you could try getting along. It could help you in the long run.

hayitsray said:
I'm just wondering if they are anything that y'all are not going to hate on ??? Yes they are welded on the inside yes it has a sleeve but will work fine I'm not hard on my rig yes it's 3 1/2in tube top guys been running 3 1/2in for a long time really needed something that would hold 40spline and for me these will work great "same Cs and knuckles underrated is running and holding up strong"
Was just asking a simple question. Was not hating

Latest posts