• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

school me on manual brakes?

zjtrey

on the new little rig I'm building I'd like to run manual brakes… going to run ¾ ton chevy calipers on all corners.. rig should weigh just over 3k hopefully less and 39 reds..

been shopping and i'm finding all kinds of pedal ratio's, dual master cylinders, tandem master cylinders, dual pedal, single pedal…. on and on…. getting overwhelmed..

It seems like most are running the dual master cylinders, from what i can gather two single masters are way cheaper than a tandem masters.. is cost why most run the duals? it seems like you'd still have brakes on one axle or the other if one master died on you, which is appealing to me..

seems like it would be a cheaper way to have cutting brakes to run dual pedals but might be more difficult to hit both pedals with one foot when the adrenaline is pumping.. true?

I've never had cutting brakes before or really felt like i needed them but it'd be nice to have as long as it doesn't overcomplicate something thats pretty simple.

what ratio pedal are you guys running and how do you quantify the pedal ratio to bore and force required to stop ect… am I best off to call up wilwood or cnc and get their recommendations on this?

i did some searching and guys are running everywhere from .750 to 1.00 bore with ¾ ton chevy calipers, I'm sure there are others out there with different setups that work awesome for them.. this is just my first time with manual brakes so any knowledge ya'll can share will be met with a cold beer on the trail after this things done… thanks in advance..

I got same setup as Nate just 1 inch bore. I run a pedal and resevoir for front and one for rear.

BUG-E J said:
I got same setup as Nate just 1 inch bore. I run a pedal and resevoir for front and one for rear.

dual pedal setup? do you find it functional to control front and rear separately with your foot?

Mine is a single pedal with a balance bar i had to adjust it some to get the feel i wanted!! i was skeptacle at first but i wouldnt have power brakes offroad again!! i got my pedal with master cylinders at speedway motors!!

natedawgxj said:
Mine is a single pedal with a balance bar i had to adjust it some to get the feel i wanted!! i was skeptacle at first but i wouldnt have power brakes offroad again!! i got my pedal with master cylinders at speedway motors!!
you happen to remember the part number?

I run dual pedals and mc's. Both 3/4 bore mc's. I've never had an issue jamming the pedels if needed, the pedals are very close together and if I want to front dig I just slide my foot over to only hold the rear brakes.

For the chevy calipers your running I would suggest 7/8's or 3/4 mc's if your using 7:1 wilwood pedals

all of the dual pedal setups I've found seem to have a big space between the pedals and are intended to be a clutch and brake pedal… what am i missing here?