• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Should he be able to compete?

85toyo

My dad started bass fishing professionally back in 2003. I was in middle school and played a lot of sports so my weekends were always tied up when the opportunity came up to go with him. Now that I can make my own work schedule, we are restricted to a select few tournament that will allow a "pro" to fish. Turns out all of the good tournaments are the ones that take the time to write that rule. We had been planning on competing in one this weekend but the event director told him that they would suggest he not incase of conflict.

For the ones that don't know, most of the local guys that compete in these tournaments have new boats with the same setup as my dad, all new tackle, blah blah blah. Hell half the time we fish out of my boat to keep people from following us all day. The only thing different is the work ethic my dad put in to be where he is now. Mainly just pisses me off that we can't go fish a tournament and have a good time like every other father and son.

Do you think it is fair for him to compete or should he not be allowed?

Just go fishing.

:fish:

All of life need not be a competition.

Of course, I'm not real competitive at anything, never was interested in sports/competitons/racing/etc...

Could you just go fish a local afternoon "fruit jar" tournament or something?

In my opinion I think he should be able to compete. I'm assuming you mean a substantial amount of prize money involved when you say "good tournament". Typically those draw a good number of boats. i live near Lake of the Ozarks and used to fish a bunch of tourney's there. I know exactly what you are saying with all the special rules in place. The Hibdon's and the Eakin's used show up at bigger events and the bitchin would start. I saw it as a challenge, do your best to try and beat em.

I've seen tourney rules that even had mileage restrictions (couldn't live within 50 miles of the lake) to even keep locals out. :****:

My only complaint was when the locals or pros would show up at small events, like 25 boats. Those should be for the weekend warrior types to try and win. $500 1st place prize etc....

Just curious, who's your dad? I understand if you want to keep it private.

I enjoy fun fishing to an extent but it's fun to compete with the old man every now and then.

Matt Herren, he is having the worst year he has ever had so they have an advantage right now :****:

We fished a small wildcat tournament the year he turned pro. Little daylight to 12 Sunday morning get together. All a bunch of guys he had known for years. We won by a stupid amount and were told not to come back. 6 months earlier they would have taken their ass kickin and came back for more the next weekend. The term "pro" makes everybody act like a little bitch.

He has only fished around home a handful of times in the past few years so there's no real advantage. Everyone he is fishing against fishes these lakes every weekend.

Why not see if yall can fish it and "if" yall when give the money to 2nd place. Even though hes a pro its still fishing not catching. :****: Just tell the tournament director thats what yall want to do.

I saw you mention your pops before and wondered who he was. Thats cool!

I loved to fish and compete. Hell, my house is right on the Meramec river.

At this point, I've sold both my boats and havent fished in close to 2 years. I hit total burn out. My old tourney partner damn near begged me to fish 1 this spring and I had no interest to do it. Its sad, Ive got a lifetime fishing license my gf bought me and Its going to waste. Maybe someday I'll want back on the front deck.

I fished about 4 days a week before I started my current job then I couldn't keep up anymore. All the guys I was fishing against were practicing 3 days a week and im usually only home every other weekend. I had top five finishes almost every weekend but it wasnt good enough for me so I put the boat up and it sat in the garage for close to 2 years. I really started missing it around the same time that I needed a break from the crawler build which was convenient. Some times you need a break from something to be able to enjoy it.

I've done my share of losing along with the rest of them so they can consider it even if we win :****:

WHY DO THEY CALL IT A TOURNAMENT IF GOOD PEOPLE ARENT ALOUD TO FISH?! IS THIS ONE OF THOSE THINGS WERE EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY :gay:

ID FISH THE DAMN THING AND SAY ****EM. IF YOU DONT WIN THEY PROBALLY WONT CARE AND IF YOU DO JUST DONATE SOME WINNINGSV :dblthumb:

I think he should be able to fish. I would take it as a honor to get to fish against a pro. I fish several tournaments a year on Chickamauga Lake in TN and they are several tournaments that have the "No Pro rule". I think the main reason for this rule is so the "Pro" does not scare everyone off and the tournament loses boats. There is a local guide that everyone around here has to fish against and he is basically on the lake everyday. This fall/spring he weighed in several bags around the 40lb mark even hit 45lbs once.

Tell him to wear a wig sign up under a different name and wear them out!

I hate to break it to people, but if you are competing for a $5,000 payout, then you are a pro, by definition. :****: By that definition, everybody is a pro in those tournaments.

There may be other regulations for the consideration of "pro" status, and I am aware of that. For instance, in powerlifting, you must reach a specific weight total in your weight class to be classified as "Pro," but anybody who makes a significant amount of money doing it is still a professional powerlifter. They just might not have a "Pro total." Just some food for thought...

Bubba1 said:
I think he should be able to fish. I would take it as a honor to get to fish against a pro...
I agree 100%. I enjoy doing powerlifting competitions where there are pro and elite lifters. I think being afraid of competing against a pro is a losing mentality.

I to burned out on Tournament fishing 8 or 9 years ago, parked my boat in the shop with a cover on it, finally got the urge to fish again last year and dug it out. Can't make myself get excited about tournaments again, Ranger11 on here has asked me to fish a few, he keeps getting told NO. But IMPO yes he should be able to fish, to me as someone stated a few post back, almost every major tournament or big money tourney I have ever fished have had guides fishing, to me no difference. The satisfaction of bringing a better bag in than the guides always makes you smile. I have fished against a few pro's on Lanier years ago, I looked at them just like any other team, got to find 'em to weigh 'em. Cool to hear that Matt is your Dad, I was pulling for him in the Classic on Lay Lake a few years ago.

Go fish those tournaments and dont worry about all the whiney bitches with $50gs worth of **** that can't catch a fish. Me and a buddy used to wear folks out at the occasional tournament in a stupid aluminum jonboat with a 10 hp motor. :****:

I got no use for a stupid bunch of bitchy people. **** them, go fish and take their money. :fish:

I'm glad to hear that everyone agrees. :dblthumb:

mdo817, thanks for the support. He had a few things that didn't go his way in that tournament but it's hard to complain about a 7th place finish at the classic.

This is why I got out ta tournaments and pretty much just stick to fishing for catfish. My only goal now is breaking the world record. :****:

Re: Re: Re: Should he be able to compete?

jrhall said:
This is why I got out ta tournaments and pretty much just stick to fishing for catfish. My only goal now is breaking the world record. :****:

My goal is to dig worms and helgamites, wade in some rocky creeks, catch some redeyes, bluegill, and smallmouth and grill them sumbitches up!

:fish:
:eat:

May try for some trout from the kayak this year instead of just :drinkers:

Wish we had some trout around home. I tried to get into fly fishing when I was a kid but the two weeks in Tennessee a year wasn't enough.

85toyo said:
Wish we had some trout around home. I tried to get into fly fishing when I was a kid but the two weeks in Tennessee a year wasn't enough.

Meh, fly fishing around here is for the yuppie Orvis/Land's End/L.L.Bean types and tourists.

They keep the Caney Fork stocked up but about the only way to catch a good pan trout in the slot limit is with live bait (minnows) on a lil jig rod.

A buddy of mine's grand dad owns a ranch in Montana (Big Sky area), been wanting to make a trip up there to do some fly fishing.

I fished the little river in Townsend, Tn. Most of the local guys were catching rainbow trout on a rooster tails. Catching small mouth in the current was a blast also.

A trip to Montana is on my bucket list for sure. That's the real deal.