• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Should i blow through?

mikemounlio

I finally have a buggy. I have been spending the last couple weeks doing all the small stuff that needs done to it. Winter is coming and i will want to tackle a bigger project. I am thinking blow though turbo would be easy as i am on propane already.

The buggy has a mustang 5.0 that was FI but the propane kit was added. It has an MSD Ignition system. 425 mixer, not sure what carb is used. not sure about the other items. The buggy runs great and has power. I am simply looking to take it to the next level step by step.

The main reason for wanting a turbo setup is simply to have one, have a bit more power, and have some sweet sounds. I dont want to add a ton of power. I would be happy with 300hp. The stock 5.0 has about 205+ hp. the stock block is good for 450+ but i dont want to build it that high just yet. From what i have read the stock 5.0 is good with 6-8psi. I would be more then happy at 8psi. I will try to get some pictures up tonight. From what i have read so far adding a turbo to this setup would be rather easy.

Any info or opinions would be great.

only thing you need to know is you need a balance tube run from the mixer top hat to the BAL port on the evaporator (part that runs antifreeze through it) and either run an electric lock off or dont run one at all. the rest is just headers an mounting the turbo. I used a piece of 6" exhaust pipe for the top hat on my 425... made it easy then just welded the bungs on it for air an balance tube

rednecklights said:
So, to achieve this 300 hp how much is it going to cost.
We'll with a ford, you could spend thousands getting to 300hp, or go to a junkyard, and buy a 600.00 Chevy engine and be way past that! :flipoff1:

Jon Piper

mna0121 said:
That is only funny because it is so true!
you guys are killin me with all the ford bashing. All the ford motors I've got in running driving buggies trucks and a mustang you chevy boys don't want none I will assure you all of that. Also I have trailors and will haul to prove my point. :****:

Yes i just read about the vac line to keep the mixer pushing gas under boost. As far as how much will it be- well the turbo i can find cheap, The piping i can get from work, will have to buy flanges and couplers. O will need a BOV and a gauge. I would say this project will be under $500.

The next question is the turbo itself. I have my motor at 5600rpm. I want to keep it there as to keep it alive. What would a quick spooling turbo be? It needs to be able to run up to 5600 engine rpm and still in its abilty. I would think 6-10psi max.

How does the breather intake do under boost? It just has the one screw in the center.

ive been talkin to jason kean about his setup, i just bought a cheap ebay turbo setup for my wifes new buggy im building with a decent little ford explore 5.0 with e303 cam, intake and gt 40p heads, i got an entire ball bearing turbo setup with all the plumbing, oil lines, waste gate and even weldable flange for exaust for 410$ shipped, granted its chinese ****, but is a ball bearing turbo, im plannin to run 6-8psi of boost, i got the kit the other day and it actually looks decent the intercooler has polished tanks and polished air tubes, im blowin it through a impco 425, im hoping for 375-400 ponies , this isnt a optimal setup by any means, cheap... and a noticeable gain will be achieved for sure, not to mention the cool factor! im gonna flip the mustang shorty headers upside down and aimed forward like the mustang guys do for the exaust plumbing to the turbo

i havent done the modifcations to the propane yet but when i spoke with him on the phone it sounded pretty basic, just drlling a hole opened to 3/16 in the carb, turning fuel screw out then back in 1/2 turn, eliminating fuel shut off if you have one ( i dont run em anyways) and he said to use 1/2" propane line from the tank, i gotta call him back and finalize everything make sure i didnt miss anything small, my thought is 6-8psi of boost wont be to hard on stockish motor and will provide plenty of cool factor and power , cheap kit...yes but it isnt getting thousands of hours and extreme egt's thrown at it so i think its gonna be flashemifyougotem, if you wanna chat about it shoot me a text anytime id be happy to share what hes passin on to me, his setup is tried and true so im useing him for advice - nate 607-426-3790

i have seen 342 stroker with stock block spilt the valley in half, also high compression and pushing 500hp you are exactly correct, im thinkin we are gonna be signifacantly below 500hp lol, i love windsors, i had one in a 89 lx fox body, im using the 5.0 cuz i already had it built and mocked in her buggy, itll still make a cool little setup, ive always wanted to build a stroked windsor...someday

I bought my buggy with a stock 5.0 in it. I only run 38.5" tires so the 5.0 does very well. I keep it at 5600 as to keep it alive. I know i could run it harder but if i can i will and i dont want to. I would rather limit my power but keep hitting my limit as to

zukimaster said:
Now, Now! Don't get to carried away, might have to take ya up on that challenge.
I'm just busting you guys balls like your bustin mine but seriously I do have some badass ford motors but I do have lots of money in em also :dblthumb: this turbo thread is interesting also I've been wanting to do this also but maybe twins with efi

The guy i bought the buggy from said after running the buggy for two years he felt that 5600 was safe while giving as much power as needed for anything he ever needed. He built the buggy and knows it best. Im just sticking to his opinion until i have enough seat time to have my own opinion.

My little 5.0 has a 5200 chip in the MSD box right now and im gonna leave it that way, my stepson and wife were driving it when it was in my rockwelled wrangler and now the motor is going in her new buggy with a turbo , she has a h Avery foot and pays no attention to gauges or floating valves nor did my stepson so I'm leaving it at 5200 rpm for now, it's plenty of range to get her into trouble that I know she will find :woot:
And this way I know it's safe and she isn't gonna damage it

imo it isn't worth the cost and trouble. 300 hp is very attaineable without it. plus you wont be hearing the turbo whine and resulting ear damage. ask me how I know ! folk get tired of me saying huh !