• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Simplest yet most frusrating / time consuming part of your build...

rugger99

Just curious what other simple yet time consuming issues others have run into during current or past builds. I'll start, so I am 6'2" and the wife is 5'2" and yes, she wants to drive the Jeep as well. Therefore, I have to install a slider on the driver seat and both seats will be mounted to the cage. Also have to make sure the harness will work for her as well, maybe add another hole to keep the angle of the shoulder straps within the correct specs, should only take a couple of hours...right ? Holy ****ery and Shenanigans...nine hours later the driver seat is done ::) And to top it all off, she says ever so sweetly... "is it almost finished, I want to drive it soon" :****:

Since I never "finish" , I'd say plumbing and wiring. If I had to tear one back apart and paint and detail etc etc to make it top notch like so many guys do these days. F that, I just need it together enough to go have fun :****:

I do LOVE to see a nicely finished out detailed build. I can appreciate that as much as anything else parts or looks wise. Takes alot of a person's time to do that level of work.

The sliders were a mofo in mine. And the way i did my seats i can see fine over the hood, anyone under 6' cant see ****. Currently not a problem because i dont care if the passenger can see and no one ever drives my jeep. But i did put sliders in the seats and it was a trick. Ended up with like 3 different ways and i dont like the way it came out the sliders are a mother ****er to get moving.

On my last buggy I made the petals adjustable. Mounted pedals to piece of flat bar, then put square tube on the back. And had it slid into another piece of square tube, like a receiver hitch. Had on adjustment hole for me and one for her. Took a bit to make it look good, but once it was finished I was happy with it

Dirt700 said:
On my last buggy I made the petals adjustable. Mounted pedals to piece of flat bar, then put square tube on the back. And had it slid into another piece of square tube, like a receiver hitch. Had on adjustment hole for me and one for her. Took a bit to make it look good, but once it was finished I was happy with it

Thats a good idea, what about the steering wheel?????

I'm so bad at picturing things like that in my head. Have any actual pictures of that? I'm in the same problem with my rig right now. I'm 6'4". Wife is 5'6". Seat positioning is a PITA

Re: Re: Simplest yet most frusrating / time consuming part of your build...

poolman said:
Thats a good idea, what about the steering wheel?????
She could barely reach the wheel. But I seen an adapter that took the female steering wheel quick connect with a tube welded on to it. Then had the male spline on other end for the actual steering wheel to go on. Basically a little pup shaft, between orbital and wheel. I was going to make one, but didn't have to

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Figuring out what goes where and how to make it simple and nice is probably the most time consuming job in my case.

I spend a lot of time looking at the buggy and moving + mocking stuff around trying to see what's the best location for them.

The Luke said:
I'm so bad at picturing things like that in my head. Have any actual pictures of that? I'm in the same problem with my rig right now. I'm 6'4". Wife is 5'6". Seat positioning is a PITA

I feel your pain, beginning to wonder if it would be easier to build her a rig instead of making this one fit both of us...lol

Re: Re: Simplest yet most frusrating / time consuming part of your build...

The Luke said:
Adjustable pedals would likely be more challenging with a stock type setup vs racecar pedals.

Think of it like this: pedals are mounted to a plate, and plate is on seat sliders. Something like that. Make sure there is flex line off the master to see the adjustment.

https://www.hyperracing.com/pages/products/online_store.aspx?product=34-599

They have collapsible columns too:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sweet-Mfg-405-10325-Collapsible-Steering-Column-32-42-Inch,6843.html?sku=91032302&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdHhBRCwARIsAAhRhsn4k8HAhXpOsDXnhAe9zeIktcIVywhph2lLwb5_diqPJjUUsJxy2uQaAjWkEALw_wcB

Taking it out and breaking dumb **** because you're not a real builder and thought you could save money doing it yourself only to find out it would've been cheaper to pay someone to do it right the first time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I make adjustable pedals as well. It works great I did add a set screw to tighten it up a bit when in place. Hydroboost and dbw makes things easier.
7d0436285e555ee8613e894d5d7ed736.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Measuring for custom length axle shafts can be time consuming. Pretty important to get it right.

I start out making the wiring look nice and neat. Plan out what I need, use different color wire for different items. It looks nice at first, then I have more to run for lets say rock lights. I cut the thing apart and worm the wires in to keep looking nice. Oh wait I forgot a fan wire. after a few times doing this I run out of room for fuses and relays. Now its starting to look like a 3d grader did it. :dunno:

I'm struggling on making everything easy to work on. For example pulling the trans and not having to pull the engine. Right now my biggest problem is motivation, I wasn't able to work in the shop most of December and now I'm thinking of just selling all my parts and just wheeling the little yota buggy or the wife's jk. Guess when I was steady on it I thought it was a good idea now I think it's just a money pit lol.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

money_pit_yj said:
Paying for it.

WIN

Bones and I had a conversation about this earlier today. I have receipts from when I built my buggy in 08, the same exact P/N steering ram is 100 dollars more now than it was then. The quality parts we all believe we need to wheel at a certain level are very expensive. I miss the early days when we all built **** out of JY parts, and went wheeling all the time instead of building the latest greatest expensive toy to impress the internet :flipoff1:
But seriously, the game and the Fab levels have evolved tremendously and it is awesome to see the quality alot of guys are able and willing to devote themselves to out of their garage. I give props to anyone that maintains a full time job a family and See's a project like a full chassis build through start to finish. That is an exercise in sheer will power regardless of ones resources our talent level.

Mine is less having top of the line stuff and more not having the time and space to do the work and paying someone to do it. I am not as mechanically inclined as some others so an hour job for you turds is at least 2 for me unless the ADD kicks in and that thing will sit for 11 months :rolf: So I just save my moneys and "upgrade" when I get a chance.