• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

socket organization

patooyee

My sockets are a mess. It seems like no form of commercial organization works long term. The little tin pegs bend a deform over time, sockets fall off. The formed trays are nice but take up too much space in a drawer. Hell, even the idea of having to go into the drawer is getting annoying to me. They're my most commonly used tool and I'm tired of opening a drawer for every one. I'm thinking about building some sort of rack that attaches to the side of my box or something. Has anyone done anything besides the commercially available storage systems? Got pics?

I have a large/complete 3/8 & 1/4 drive socket set in the top of a roll around service cart, it stays open and the sockets all live in their original home.

I basically use the roll around cart for holding whatever tools for the current project I'm working on, when the project is done, I put all the "other" hand tools back in their place in the big tool box that stays stationary in the corner of the shop.

But the large socket set and some basic **** that I use all the time all "live" in the service cart (one certain hammer, one pry bar, one each +/- screwdriver, 3/4 & 13/16 impact sockets for lug nuts, 1/2" impact, 3/8 impact, etc)

(not mine, but the exact same concept as how I use my cart minus the T handle allens)

I also hang an air blower and grinder on the side, and 2 fire extinguishers. Oh, and I put hooks on the back of the lid to hang my welding jacket and helmet

8500747829_f37133dd5c.jpg

This cart

picture.php

Some pics.
9dc14675a989f801aedd5a60683f05c6.jpg

Top where sockets live.
6657185f9f7497385b517c9be948c0c0.jpg

The rest is organized in drawers.
263efec27ace6a1dae078973c42be51c.jpg

21d9182df40c153f87bb588656fb3d9a.jpg

398d7e8855256b641c380777772c9318.jpg

1bbcbf8578a4485a3214636c4f063f27.jpg

Figured Kush would appreciate those! Only go to the big box if not in roll cart.
70d63040b739092b1973d4721a41c397.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like John and I have pretty much identical theories in tool organization.

1 small service cart with common tools

1 large "stationary box" with all the other assorted tools/power tools/special tools

I also have a machinist box that I keep all my pre-made tabs, hardware, hydraulic plumbing, brake tubing tools, diff setup tools in

I have a socket organizer at work that has 4 rows of clips, I take it out and put it in my cart at the beginning of the day and it goes back in my box at the end of day. It's the one in the middle of the drawer in the picture. I think I got it from matco. Cheap ass cart is not deep enough for me to close the lid and lock it with it in there. It holds 90% of what I use all day. At home I have a bunch of the HF Pittsburgh plastic pin organizers, they are stupid cheap and work great.

I used the ones like John has in a service truck for 11 years and they were great they bounced around these east KY strip mines with no problems they muat be tough

Ya'll's suggestion for the tool cart was an inadvertent help on two fronts because I've been outgrowing my main tool chest and was also looking for a bigger one. But getting a tool cart, emptying a few drawers from the main chest to it and being more mobile solves that issue and helps with the socket organization. So I went on a shopping spree at Harbor Freight today and got this:

image_24150.jpg

As well as a metric and SAE set of these:

image_15658.jpg

(Not sure how much faith I have in them but for a total of $16 they were worth a shot.)

As well as this:

image_7521.jpg

Thanks for the idears!

patooyee said:
Ya'll's suggestion for the tool cart was an inadvertent help on two fronts because I've been outgrowing my main tool chest and was also looking for a bigger one. But getting a tool cart, emptying a few drawers from the main chest to it and being more mobile solves that issue and helps with the socket organization. So I went on a shopping spree at Harbor Freight today and got this:

image_24150.jpg

As well as a metric and SAE set of these:

image_15658.jpg

(Not sure how much faith I have in them but for a total of $16 they were worth a shot.)

As well as this:

image_7521.jpg

Thanks for the idears!

I got the socket organizers well actually have 3 sets of them. They work great. Much cheaper so when I do break them they are not to bad to replace.

BTW, HF is giving these POS lights away for free right now. You have to have a coupon but they're everywhere on the internet as well as in their in-store flyers. There are two coupons, one requires any purchase, the other is just for a free light, no purchase required.

60566_zzz_500.jpg

When I was there there was a short fat little :afro: with the free coupon. He got a light, left, came right back in without the light and a new copy of the coupon, grabbed another light, and got in line. Purchased absolutely nothing. LOL! Apparently he just really likes that piece of **** light.

It's probably the lowest quality light I've ever held in my hand. But its free, so **** it, right?

I always gather up all the "free ****" coupons and take a whole basket up to the front when I'm there. But I am always buying a legitimate amount of items...

I have a **** ton of the shitty black handle screw driver sets, 25' tape measures, 12' tape measures, led flashlights, magnetic bolt catcher pans, and multi meters.... :****:

TBItoy said:
I always gather up all the "free ****" coupons and take a whole basket up to the front when I'm there. But I am always buying a legitimate amount of items...

I have a **** ton of the shitty black handle screw driver sets, 25' tape measures, 12' tape measures, led flashlights, magnetic bolt catcher pans, and multi meters.... :****:
I've got about four each of the tape measures and meters. Haha

The Luke. Lebanon, TN