• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solar Power?

BustedKnucklefilms

Anyone know anything about Solar Power setups?

I want to run my boat dock which consists of a lift (floating type that pumps water in and out) and a couple lights on solar power.
They sell a kit on craigslist for $150. Anyone tried anything like this?

The systems that I set up for work are fairly simple. Batteries power the instant demaind and then the solar cells recharge the deep cycle batts. The Northern Tool Panels have been consistent and worked well. Since its a waterfront facility, you can bring the batteries in in the winter to save them.

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Anyone know anything about Solar Power setups?

I want to run my boat dock which consists of a lift (floating type that pumps water in and out) and a couple lights on solar power.
They sell a kit on craigslist for $150. Anyone tried anything like this?
Solar power? I bet you buy carbon credits too hippy. laughing1

I put a battery tender brand solar panel on the roof of my big trailer and an Optima inside. I think the solar panel will charge a few batteries at once. The voltage regulator and trickle circuitry is built into the panel.
This is the one I have. Probably overkill. Supposed to charge a car battery from dead in 3 hours:

www.batterytender.com/products/solar/15-watt-solar-charger.html

Re:

DougL said:
Post pics and updates please. I'm interested in this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

X2. Been thinking about giving the power company the big :flipgotcha: and go solar. Still have to pay for the damn water though. Hauler, what is typical price wise for a get off the grid setup?

Re:

My uneducated knowledge of big solar systems is that the unreasonable amount of money spent on the system itself will pay your power bill for many, many years. The people I have seen do this, do it for "environmental" reasons. Not financial. From what I understand, its six one way, half a dozen the other.

Re:

5BrothersFabrication said:
X2. Been thinking about giving the power company the big :flipgotcha: and go solar. Still have to pay for the damn water though. Hauler, what is typical price wise for a get off the grid setup?

Total solar for huge kWh draw is a different ballgame. I set up smaller level stuff for intermittant demand and low level constant.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578614_200578614 This panel will power a big lightbulb. The trick is to store it up in the batteries (likely 2 or 3 deep cycle 12V) to use on demand (like for the beginning and end of the day hoisting and dropping the boat)
A panel, 3 batts, a charge controller, inverter (assuming that you need 120V) and wires will cost around $1100 ish and can go up from there.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200584618_200584618 Larger systems, you're lookin' at big$$$

5BrothersFabrication said:
Holy **** Batman. Mofugga gon hafta be :afro: rich ta fode dat! Gonna call Northern on my obama phone and see if they take EBT!

I can't imagine it will be cheap running power all the way to his dock, either.

Just gonna take figuring the cost either way and making a decision. The distance alone is a killer when stringing wire. Just need to know the power demand and can figure out what you need.

LED lights would be good for under the canopy. Having 12V there would mean you could use a light bar flashemifyougotem

Re:

My wives Aunt and uncle just put solar panels on there house at a cost of $11,000. Time will tell if it will be worth the money.