• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Those the longs with 24 spline at the birf? Get ya a set of the RCV's with full 30 spline and then you can start killin that high pinion front laughing1 :driving:

YEP! It never ends with Toyota axles! Just like me, a few hundred here and there and they will be bullit proof! and several thousands later, I still got the same **** that will break if you look at a rock wrong!

I think the F250 used them until 2001. My 2002 F250 has a 60.

I used 50 knuckles on my buggy's fipped steering 9". There are almost limitless upgrades for a 9" as you know.
If weight is a major factor, aluminum 3rd members are available.

Re: Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Stretch said:
Those the longs with 24 spline at the birf? Get ya a set of the RCV's with full 30 spline and then you can start killin that high pinion front laughing1 :driving:

Yes they are...and that's probably exactly what I'll do. Gets boring breaking the same ole thing, might as well start breaking new things :****:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Or lifetime warrantied RCV's? ....I think so. I can't afford to swap to them big boy axles.
The bad thing about lifetime warranties is the having to tear down, ship and wait to receive the parts....I never broke a 4340 shaft in my tons and they were in 2 different rigs both over 4k lbs.
As money allows, I'll upgrade Whitey and shouldn't have to worry again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Rokcrler said:
The bad thing about lifetime warranties is the having to tear down, ship and wait to receive the parts....I never broke a 4340 shaft in my tons and they were in 2 different rigs both over 4k lbs.
As money allows, I'll upgrade Whitey and shouldn't have to worry again.

The bad thing about switching tons, as you already know = swapping to 8 lug wheels, purchasing axles, regearing if they are not already done, possible disc brake conversion on the rear, chromo shafts, upgrading knuckles/hi steer arms? Then the worst part for me is the metal work. Trussing, mounting hydro steering, welding up all brackets and tabs, etc....I don't have the tools needed to do so, which means paying someone. Even though Angryfab treats me right on labor pricing and does damn good work, it's still just extra money to be thrown in the hat. I realize I could sell my axles to compensate for a little bit of the costs, but I'd still be in the hole....it never works out financially when it's done like you hoped it would in the beginning lol.

Re:

Both times I've broke axles, it's been some crazy bad binding. I'm surprised I was able to back off that ledge Sat night without having a cut tire. My front left tire was sandwiched down in a rock hole, pinched like a vice. I don't blame the shaft for breaking lol.

Re:

Stretch said:
2012'ish or a little before, RCV started testing the 30/30/30 chromos for the FJ80's. Released a little while after.

Would like to discuss these more, I believe I'm gonna bite the bullet, and upgrade to these. Hard for me to just keep buying the same ole shafts that I can break...even though they don't break easily, I've broke 2 this year....none the first year of ownership. Just makes sense to go stronger.

Jacobmc said:
Are u running longs?

Yes, FJ80 Longfields. 30 spline outers and at the diff, and 24 coarse spline at birfield joint. So far I have broke my inner passenger side shaft, and replaced it with an RCV. Now I've broke the other inner shaft and may have fouled up the birfield joint too.

Since the 30/30/30 shafts are now available I really don't see the reason to keep that coarse 24spline stuff. With that said, I know of a few FJ80 fronts running around out there with Bobby's shafts in them and they have yet to break one as far as I know. But the new RCV's weren't available when the rigs were built so the old spline count was the only option. The rigs have changed hands over the years but I know the OP's kicked the dog **** out of them while they had them. One is in a 4.0 powered rig on 37 sticky treps and another one is a 4.3 on 39 reds. Both however are relatively light otherwise. Both buggies weighed in around 2600-2800. Anything can break in a bind, just depends on what you want the weak link to be. I hate tearing down axles so the 80 axles I have will get the new RCV's when the time comes and I'll deal with whatever I find the weak link to be.

Stretch said:
Since the 30/30/30 shafts are now available I really don't see the reason to keep that coarse 24spline stuff. With that said, I know of a few FJ80 fronts running around out there with Bobby's shafts in them and they have yet to break one as far as I know. But the new RCV's weren't available when the rigs were built so the old spline count was the only option. The rigs have changed hands over the years but I know the OP's kicked the dog **** out of them while they had them. One is in a 4.0 powered rig on 37 sticky treps and another one is a 4.3 on 39 reds. Both however are relatively light otherwise. Both buggies weighed in around 2600-2800. Anything can break in a bind, just depends on what you want the weak link to be. I hate tearing down axles so the 80 axles I have will get the new RCV's when the time comes and I'll deal with whatever I find the weak link to be.

I figure my junk is around 4k lbs, if not more. built pane'd 22r on 39 reds. I've never broke while actually beating on it, it's been a slow crawl under cut or like recently, tire got pinched between two rocks and bam! The 30/30/30 option is $100 more than the 24 coarse spline option for the whole set and I already am probably gonna have to buy both inner and outter to fix my broke ****, so might as well upgrade them all hub to hub and see what happens.