• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Would like to discuss these more, I believe I'm gonna bite the bullet, and upgrade to these. Hard for me to just keep buying the same ole shafts that I can break...even though they don't break easily, I've broke 2 this year....none the first year of ownership. Just makes sense to go stronger.

Wonder if they can just sell you new stars and the inners?

Re:

sastoy said:
Wonder if they can just sell you new stars and the inners?
Yep, I believe they can because at one point Kraig asked me if I planned on rebuilding the 24 spline birf I have that has the broke shaft piece still in it. But I think they charge more per part like that than when you just buy the whole set..... Is it hard to disassemble the birfs to swap out the star?

Re: Re: Someone bring me up to snuff on Toyota axles

This side broke exactly where the other side broke. Started in that little brief, flat void in the splines. Why is that part of the splines flat all the way around anyway?!

Passenger side inner shaft I broke a few months ago

ezy5uru8.jpg

qajesy8e.jpg

Driver side shaft I just broke last weekend for immediate comparison. (All Longfields)

papatape.jpg

I wanna say the flat spots are for steering clearance, but don't quote me on it, not sure. As for swapping guts I've never pulled apart a newer set but one of my spare sets falls apart on its own. It's probably one of those things that's a bitch till you figure out the right way to do it. But I'm a cheap ass so I'd **** with it instead of buying the whole set again

Pretty sure that's a snap ring groove. There is supposed to be a snap ring to keep the inner axle from migrating too deep into the birf

Re:

That's about the only thing I could think of, but there wasn't one on either of the Longs and wasn't one on the RCV replacement inner I bought a couple months ago. Only the detent ring or whatever it's called, to hold it in the birf.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
That's about the only thing I could think of, but there wasn't one on either of the Longs and wasn't one on the RCV replacement inner I bought a couple months ago. Only the detent ring or whatever it's called, to hold it in the birf.

Never seen it either on these axles and don't remember seeing that relief in any of the pictures when they were originally released. I want to say I remember seeing that Bobby changed the design of the bell a little bit so that the larger diameter 30 spline inner wouldn't come in contact with the bell and limit steering. So MAYBE you have a very early version of those axles before that revision? On another note, how is the drill/tap/socket head bolt fix working on your drive flanges?

Re:

Stretch said:
Never seen it either on these axles and don't remember seeing that relief in any of the pictures when they were originally released. I want to say I remember seeing that Bobby changed the design of the bell a little bit so that the larger diameter 30 spline inner wouldn't come in contact with the bell and limit steering. So MAYBE you have a very early version of those axles before that revision? On another note, how is the drill/tap/socket head bolt fix working on your drive flanges?

That's the side I broke this most recent shaft on, so I'd say they are holding fine. The passenger side still has the ARP studs. I think it was just a fluke when I broke them the first time, because of the way I was winching in reverse.

RCV End of Summer Special
Now through the end of September, upgrade the inner axle shafts in a new Toyota axle kit to 300M for only $150! That's a $150 savings!

Applications:
Toyota Pickup ('79-'85) & 4Runner ('84-'85)
Land Cruiser 40/55 Series ('76-'84) & 70 Series ('84-'89)
Land Cruiser FJ60 ('81-'87) & FJ62 ('88-'90)
Still includes the Free Drive Flange kit or hub gear set.
Look us up on: http://www.rcvperformance.com/
or call us 815-877-7473