• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stripping scrap copper wire

blacksheep10

XBJRA champ/ 555 and team Nasty codriver
Kansas, where we know how to wheel, nowhere to go
Yes, its easier to ask here than to search google more. I see the $360 one, it looks good, but it is over 10 days out to process and we want this done stat. Has anyone built a drill powered machine? I'm needing about 3000' of copper all pretty sizable stipped. Time is very much of the essence

burn it with a little bit of disel to get it going. just do it late of a evening and off in the counteyr. When the fire is about all the way gone spray it off with water and they will still take it for #1 bright copper. That's the way I do it around here and they will take it for #1 bright red. you can clean off 1000# in about 30 minutes like that.

electrican said:
burn it with a little bit of disel to get it going. just do it late of a evening and off in the counteyr. When the fire is about all the way gone spray it off with water and they will still take it for #1 bright copper. That's the way I do it around here and they will take it for #1 bright red. you can clean off 1000# in about 30 minutes like that.
x2 or find a mexican and give him a razor knife

electrican said:

This in a burn barrel. Stop at carwash for cleaning unless u have a pad to wash on.

I did make a jig out of wood when I was recycling but I don't have a photo of it. Took 2 2x4's and drilled a hole (where the 2 come together half on each) the size of the wire cut a hole in one of them with a thin jig saw blade at the hole I drilled between them that a utility blade would fit in. Start The wire though the hole then take 2 c clamps and clap it blade side down to a table. Just pull the wire though it and it will be striped.

you can also take a good sharp butcher knife clamp the wire down in a vise and walk down the wire and strip it like that. yoou just have a heck of a mess to clean up when you get through.

I use to use the vise and butcher knife technique and it worked but sucks cleanin up a mess all the way out the shop and down the driveway

we burn it.

PSC takes it burnt here no problem, as long as it's burned clean.

I usually take a rake and toss it around while it's burning until it's completely clean.

I think those pics gets posted in just about every internet mention of the word copper.

J. J.

Been wondering about this too. Friend of mine worked at a big sock mill for years and it closed down last year and he got all the wire that had the machines hardwired. He has an entire 5x8 trailer mounded over of this wire and they all are about 4 or 5 ft. sections and each section contains 4 individual wires encased in a black rubber housing looking like one big wire. All four of the individual wires are made of the thin strands instead of solid copper wire...sort of like speaker wire....so I don't think burning that would work, for fear of melting alot of the thin strands. And dammit, it would take a damn week to sit down and skin all them wires by hand.

Latest posts