• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tbi performance?

30th6

I have a stock tbi 350 in my juggy. It gets the job done but I'd like to have a little more power. I researched it on Google but I can't really find the answers I want.
I'd like to do a torque cam but I'm worried about the computer not letting it run right. Does anyone have any mods they would recommend, or will the computer take the mid size cam?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Best bang for the buck would be 96 and up vortec heads, summit sells these with dual bolt patterns for both style intakes and valve covers, a 7.4 throttle body, long tube headers, and a good tune.

I gave a friend a used comp xtreme 4x4 cam and he stuck it in a TBI 350 and did nothing else and it Ended up running pretty damn good imo

Re:

Can you tune these? If so who does it? I'm not gonna change heads ect. I don't want to spend more on it than a 6.0 swap would cost.
Good to hear about the cam swap. Did he change valve springs?
My engine is a newer crate engine so it's in good condition is the main reason I don't want to spend money a 6.0 swap.

The ONLY money I'd spend is a drop in cam that will work with the stock computer (COMP has a line) anything more than that and you are pissing away money that could be put toward an LS style engine.

Not sure I'd even spend the $, time, and work on a cam.

For what you'd spend to get stock 5.3 performance, you could do a 5.3 swap, and then you've opened the door of unlimited potential platform for engine mods

Re:

Yea . I know I should just do a ls swap. But this is a newer engine and it's reliable , I'd like a little more grunt to spin my 42s a little faster. I'll check out the computer cams. Thanks

Re:

30th6 said:
Yea . I know I should just do a ls swap. But this is a newer engine and it's reliable , I'd like a little more grunt to spin my 42s a little faster. I'll check out the computer cams. Thanks

Just my opinion but i would run it until it blows or you have saved up enough for a ls swap. Any money you put in it is wasted that you will never recoup. That is the mentality i had with the engine in the yj. Ot never gave me a lick of trouble internally.

I did alot of polishing to the throttle body, and the fuel pressure spring.... I will find my cam card and let you know... It was the biggest cam I could find without messing with the computer... Definitely headers, I went with two into one...

Ya those motors like a little more back pressure for sure. Definitely get a cam that's acceptable but if you ever decide to have it tuned on, Howell performance can tune a chip for you. But honestly for a little more than the cost of a cam, you can pick up a high mile 5.3 or 4.8 and gain tons of power. By high mile I mean 200k. Still plenty of life left in them. Especially for a crawler.

The guy i gave the cam to was trying to piece an engine together for a cab truck and needed a cam anyway. He didn't change valve springs but it was a hydraulic flat tappet and his springs were good enough. The cam was a 262h xtreme4x4.

I actually have another one of those same cams in good shape I'd be willing to part with

Re:

I can't do headers. I had to take them off and run manifolds because of drive shaft clearances.
I'm thinking about a cam swap and leave it alone.
The 205 doesn't have much gear so I could use a little low end torque.

20 years ago I put a crane compucam 2030 in a tbi 2.8 s-10 w 31's and couldn't believe the power gain... Night and day... Would run off and leave my v-8 buddies behind.

Here is the cam I put in my TBI:

SUM-K1102
Cam and Lifters, Duration 278/288, Lift .421/.444, Chevy, Small Block, Kit
(Mfr. #: SUM-K1102)

Factory cam specs for reference:

.050? tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 165/175; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is .382/.402.

FItech self tuning TBI set up, Im looking at that or the new Holley Sniper system that just released at PRI good to 600hp. Going atop a 383 with Edelbrock heads and cam 270adv duration just under 500 lift and 112 degree lobe sep.

Agree best bang for buck without a doubt is vortec heads

I got a set of vortec heads and a very mild roller cam I will sell you for 500 bucks. You gotta take everything else with you though :****:

I'd recommend you stay away from a "computer" cam in this thing, youre barely going to notice a difference and you'll be pissed you put the time and effort into it. If youre serious about tuning it check out www.Moates.net they have everything you need. Using the Moates stuff I ran a TPI 383 with a comp Xtreme 270* cam, Dart Iron eagle heads, headers etc. Its not as easy as late model stuff with flash burning ecm's but the stuff to do it is a good bit cheaper. You'll have to modify/ buy a modified PROM chip and use a burner to re write the entire chip for each change.

For all the hassle of tuning a TBI, I'd probably just go with the vortec swap though. Its alot less hassle and you'll probably make the same power.

I am no expert at all and dont know half of what most on here do but have been running a tbi small block for at least 5 years. I researched quite a bit back when I was first making the swap in my yota. I cut down my own harness and made as many cheap modifications as I could using tbichips.com. He gives great info on his site about the tbi system and its limitations with certain components.

From my research, the biggest limitation to the tbi engines is air flow of the throttle body, intake, and heads. The 5.7 throttle body will only flow 450cfm and the stock valve springs red line at 4500. The stock cam is awful and the heads not much better. I did the ultimate throttle body mods on tbichips website and increased fuel pressure to 18psi. I also did do a cam swap, shorty headers, free flowing exhaust, and added the stage 2 chip. According to tbichips this combo should bring at least 50-60hp over the stock 210. Not much but fairly cheap for me at the time considering the complete low mileage motor, computer, and harness were all free. Throttle body mods are almost free excluding the $12 fuel pressure spring and $10 injector pod spacer. I think I paid $100 for the headers, $200 for the cam, $150 for valve springs, and $200 for the Stage 2 chip. These are all approximate numbers at that time. I am happy with it. It is not anything like LS power but much more torque than the old and tired 22r it replaced. If I was doing it again I would swap in an LS style motor no doubt about it.

30th6 said:

With this in mind, I would do the throttle body mods, cam swap, valve springs,and fuel pressure increase. All of this will then require some kind if eprom for the computer but will get you more woopow and the valves wont float anymore at 4800. booyang

I have a 300 horse motor I will sell you for 500 bucks. It needs to be gone through but it will bolt in. Has fuse block and everything.