• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TC STALL.. My God, Is it really this hard?

gearing maybe your big issue but what size converter do you have 10'' or 12'' that is some thing to consider to the smaller it is the more it will slip i have same problem i have a 10'' 3400. 12 '' will stay engaged better than a 10'' the 10'' seems like it the bigger the rock or the more you in a tight spot the more skinny petal it takes to engage. hopefully that makes sense

Don't double it. Save you money for an Atlas. Saves weight, rear driveshaft length, and if we're to ever put your Jeep for sale an Atlas is a major selling point. My Jeep had trouble with boatramp last weekend also. I have a higher stall since I switched to an auto. Instead of tires barely moving now they break loose more at once. I used to crawl it in granny low. Our jeeps are very similar except mine isn't bitch red. ( :flipoff1:) LT1, 350, 2500 stall, 4.3 Atlas, 4.10 gears in axles and 39 Reds. I'm going to have to do what I seen JohnG do ride brakes going up it.

bee513 said:
gearing maybe your big issue but what size converter do you have 10'' or 12'' that is some thing to consider to the smaller it is the more it will slip i have same problem i have a 10'' 3400. 12 '' will stay engaged better than a 10'' the 10'' seems like it the bigger the rock or the more you in a tight spot the more skinny petal it takes to engage. hopefully that makes sense
Looks to be a 12". That was another thing I forgot to point out that I do not understand, did not see much to read on it at all.. And the last part made perfect sense because that's the same problem I have.

kmcminn said:
Don't double it. Save you money for an Atlas. Saves weight, rear driveshaft length, and if we're to ever put your Jeep for sale an Atlas is a major selling point. My Jeep had trouble with boatramp last weekend also. I have a higher stall since I switched to an auto. Instead of tires barely moving now they break loose more at once. I used to crawl it in granny low. Our jeeps are very similar except mine isn't bitch red. ( :flipoff1:) LT1, 350, 2500 stall, 4.3 Atlas, 4.10 gears in axles and 39 Reds. I'm going to have to do what I seen JohnG do ride brakes going up it.
Well I have done some research on Atlas's.. And once there many different options, and I'm not sure wat best suits my needs.. I DEF don't want to lose my haul ass hell raising low, but wanna creep when necessary, if I had to pickI would definitely go with what I haveover being stuck in a slow low gear. But I knowthere's a way to accomplish both.. Start reading about atlas's and get so confused.. Atlas 1, atlas 2, 4 speed, 3.0, 3.8, 4.1... All that and I wanna pull my FAWKIN hair out. And what you have listed about the doubler are the main reasons I didn't wAnna do it. ESP the Dam driveshaft thing. Fawk I'll be dammed if i cut that driveshaft!!! Shittin me.. I took a ass raping on that thing by HAD.. (FAWK HAD)
So say I did do a atlas, or doubler or WatEver... The stall would still be an issue or no because of lower gearing??
And on boat ramp the second i let off the brakes it took off sliding .. Apparently It will do that even with very low gears, so the guy that was in front of me with 6 somthing gears.... this is just my opinion.. But bitch red has to better than being the white bitch. :flipper: hahah

Throw you some rockwells under it and be done, that would fix your gearing problems no doubt

All the gearing in the world is not gonna change the stall speed enough to satisfy you. A stall that is 1000 over stock would probably work great. It should keep your engine in its power range and still crawl. Good luck either way.

I watched a video of your rig the other day and while it sounds good, it sounds way overcammed to me. I guess it goes back to style vs function. Decrease cam and go with a good 1500-1800 stall and you'll be much happier performance wise. No need for a thumpity thump cam in a trail rig. If you need any help with all that just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help you figure it all out. A good rv torque cam will still have some sound but better driveability. There is a lot more to camshafts than lift and duration. You have to look at lobe separation as well. Duration means way more than lift which is what everyone talks about.

bigsexy said:
All the gearing in the world is not gonna change the stall speed enough to satisfy you. A stall that is 1000 over stock would probably work great. It should keep your engine in its power range and still crawl. Good luck either way.

do you have an auto? have you ever put the case in high see that is has more stall?

pholmann said:
I watched a video of your rig the other day and while it sounds good, it sounds way overcammed to me. I guess it goes back to style vs function. Decrease cam and go with a good 1500-1800 stall and you'll be much happier performance wise. No need for a thumpity thump cam in a trail rig. If you need any help with all that just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help you figure it all out. A good rv torque cam will still have some sound but better driveability. There is a lot more to camshafts than lift and duration. You have to look at lobe separation as well. Duration means way more than lift which is what everyone talks about.
Yep: have a lot of folks that hear it Runnin say " man that thing hits a lick" .. Hell I always heard that and like u said always thought it "sounded cool" but until recently had no FAWKIN clue wat made it sound that way. I'm still really ignorant when it comes to motors. I understand basically how I motor works, but when it comes to all the diff parts like cams and such I'm lost... Dam this sucks.

bee513 said:
do you have an auto? have you ever put the case in high see that is has more stall?
o
When I put it in high, it barely moves, until a high rpm. Same when I take off from a dead stop around the neighborhood at the stop signs.. High gear is useless in my rig unless major ass is gettin hauled. :****:
Can anyone explain to me exactly how to see what the stall is, or close ? Really not sure I did it the right way, and I'm damn sure not sure my piece of **** tach is reading correctly.

yankster said:
Try putting you rig in 2wd high range and brake torque it. When the tires start to break loose check your tach. That should be close to advertised stall.

Your flash is more important, to check that get it going down a road in high gear and goose it a few times while you watch the tach, see where it jumps to. For example mine is a 2,400 stall, but when you nail it like that it will let the motor jump to 3,200.I say it is more important because that is where your convertor locks up at. You could have a transmission shop that messes with race cars change out some parts in your convertor to adjust your stall and flash.

kushKrawlin said:
Yep: have a lot of folks that hear it Runnin say " man that thing hits a lick" .. Hell I always heard that and like u said always thought it "sounded cool"
wheres the video, lets hear this thing!!!!

Ok. So yesterday I hope the tach up, which is a POS.. There's good chance it's not right.. But anyways, I put in 2wd high, (In the yard, not asphalt) stepped on the brake, and gave it gas, the ass end lifts up and the tires start spinnin at about 1800 rpm, BUT, like I stated I do not know **** about motors, but I have always had some kinda Motorsport, and I do know what one sounds like when it's close to red line.. And i swear when i rev it sittin still the RPM's on this bullshit tach go between 2-3000 and that bitch is screAming. I don't know what RPM's these kinda motors are supposed to red line at or idle at.. Wish i did, I hate being confused like this. I'm used to 15000 + RPM's on a sport bike, this is the first old skool motor i have ever had.
PHOLMANN, th350 trans, 205, 4:56's, 40" treps, and Motor is 400 sbc, but I'm not sure what the hell has been done to it, ALL I have seen is the red roller rockers, headers, summit manifold(think I'm right).. BUT it had Voodo Cam stickers on the old oil pan, tell me if I could look or you need to know anything else that I may be able to find. And fellas I know a sticker can be put anywhere, and I never paid much attention to the "Voodoo cam" sticker .. but I've had several people say Something about the cam,,, so that makes me think it could possibly have one :dunno: as bad as I hate to say it thats like speakin another language.. I'm learnin tho. I usually don't stop when i want somthin, and I wanna learn everything about this ****.. . Ok.. back to my hunk , did I do stall test right? Please tell me grass is ok and it doesn't have to be on concrete! Haha. Good lord.
And I did read about the flash stall test last nite and plan on doin it.. I think a good tachometeris in the near future. I just wanna figure this out and get it how I want it.. Had a good friend to tell me "find out what driving style you want and that will decide a lot". Well, I damn sure do not want to go slow all of the time, actually I don't want to go slow most of the time.. But by God,on The side of a rock ledge, like at Morris watching josh and chad (hope I'm right on names) with their low gearing it hit me, that's the only way to accomplish getting up some of those rocks without jumping them or hammering it and breakin everything... My high gear is useless offroad, my low is awesome for hills and raising hell.