• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TC STALL.. My God, Is it really this hard?

Well unfortunately the only way to know what camshaft you have is to either pull it out and check the numbers, or check the lobe lift with a dial indicator and multiply it by your rocker ratio. I looked at the voodoo series of camshafts from lunati and they have some that are pretty small and would be great for your application and some that are huge. You didn't happent to notice what ratio the roller rockers said on them did you? Also you want to push the 400 to about 6000 rpm and no more. You probably want idle to be about 800-1k. Are you running injection or carb? You did the stall test correctly but not the flash test. The good news is that if you decide to go down in cam size, you shouldn't have to do anything with your valve springs. They should already be overkill for a smaller cam. You can usually pick up used stalls from people for fairly cheap, you just need to look at the condition of the fluid that is in them. Its always a gamble with used ****, but you can try a few different ones cheaper that way. A th350 and a th400 use the same converter so that makes it easy.

I believe the easiest route for you to take is more gearing, either a atlas or a doubler, don't know if they make a low gear set for a 205? but anyway, the lower the gearing, the less the converter will stall, I mean you could go and change the cam, converter, and all that ****, but in my opinion, for the type of riding you do, you are not geared low enough anyway! so start with that first and go from there!

I agree. He definitely needs some lower gears. Lomax does make a lower gear set but it is pricey. I would just go with some good 5.13 gears and assess from there.

Re:

Sounds like your tach is wired for a 4cyl.

Half the sparks at a given rpm..

So 1800 = 3600...

Wait a second, that would be backward... Never mind

I would definitely do an atlas. Guess I'm going to start looking At them. Me pulling a cam out is out of the question! That bitch would never run again. :****: another thing that is out of the question is regearing the axles.. I had actually checked on it in the past , considering the Pinion gear gets smaller, and the cost is about the same as an atlas.. I think I doubler would be great.. But the reason's KMCMINN stated are exactly why I'm not. My options are Atlas or the Lomax gears.. But I was told Lomax would not give me gearing low enough.. I have some more research to do It looks like. Here's a other video where u can hear motor better I think..

http://youtu.be/G8sXSlrxBFk

I swear by watching those videos I don't think you have a convertor problem at all, if anything you could stand a looser convertor to soak up some of the part throttle response. It looks like your just plain hitting the gas pedal to much, that motor seems to be pretty hefty down low and that's not a bad problem to have, you just have to drive it different than a 4 cylinder would that is geared to the moon.And I bet if you geared it down it would probably spin the tires worse when your smacking the throttle like that, you would loose the wheel speed but it would have a ton more leverage to make the tires break loose easier. I would like to see what this jeep would do when you turned that motor loose. And I wonder what the timing is set at?

What did you wheel before this jeep? In my opinion it looks like it works pretty damn good to me. I had a cherokee before I built my wrangler and there's night and day difference in how they wheel. When you got some motor it's going to be different than crawling around in a 4 banger or 6 cly. From the looks of the jeep it hasn't been wheeled a lot. I think with some seat time you are really going to be hard to hang with. I have to pretty much hold the brake on mine when climbing stuff like that just to help hold it back some. Theres always going to be those spots that you'll spin and beat on it more than you think you should have to and when you finally get up it they'll be someone behind you with low hp just crawl the **** and make it look easy. If it's a fresh build and a new to you unit I would be patient and learn the jeep. I've got a buddy with the lowmax case and it seems about right. If I ever change or bust my 205 that's the route I'll take.

bee513 said:
do you have an auto? have you ever put the case in high see that is has more stall?
yes i have had an auto...and yes it does seem to stall a little higher than when in low range but in low its just getting the motor higher in the rpm rangr...if he has to gas it to bump up or roll in to it will still flash same ...weight and power is the biggest factors

bigsexy said:
yes i have had an auto...and yes it does seem to stall a little higher than when in low range but in low its just getting the motor higher in the rpm rangr...if he has to gas it to bump up or roll in to it will still flash same ...weight and power is the biggest factors

Go find another to troll. This guy is trying to figure something out. No one gives a **** about you having an auto in the past.

kmcminn said:
Go find another to troll. This guy is trying to figure something out. No one gives a **** about you having an auto in the past.
trying to help him out...you all say gear it ..atlas blah blah blah...still gonnaflash bloe the tires off when he doesn t want it to. So **** off retard

bigsexy said:
trying to help him out...you all say gear it ..atlas blah blah blah...still gonnaflash bloe the tires off when he doesn t want it to. So **** off retard
Wait a dam minute! is this the same bigsexy that was riding a horse not long ago??? It has to be.. Welcome back.. I take it the horse riding forum didn't care for your badassness either?

Re: Re: Re: TC STALL.. My God, Is it really this hard?

bigsexy said:
Yeah that's not correct...

If he was geared lower it would flash/stall at a lower wheel speed and he could ease up rocks, instead of it hopping around and going instantly from zero tire movement to 10 mph wheel speed...

My old truggy with a stock SBC, stock 700r4 truck torque converter, stock Toyota tcase, and 4.10 gears on 40"s acted the same way as his jeep in the video "Reeeeeeevvvvvvv up to 1500-1800rpm, SPIN TIRES!"

When I put 5.71 gears in the axles it would creep around and could crawl right off idle in 1st. If I needed to climb a slick hill I'd take off in 2nd.

Junedog this is my first build, never had a strictly off-road rig before this one. I have had it about a year and half and been out a dozen or so times.. And drive it a couple times a week usually around the hood to the marina or round the house... I drive it a lot piddling but I haven't been offroading for years(in my own rig) like most of yall, I dam sure wish I did. I see what your saying for sure. Haha and yAll kill me bout how clean it is.. It's a camera trick, From 25 ft it looks mint.. Get up close and not so mint. The PO flipped it and bent everything outta Wack, then I parked it on the front bumper and Fawked the right side of hood up, that's why I cut the hood, I am pretty OCD about keepin it clean.. And i have to stay on my brakes or I'm Rollin back, FAST..
Elliot, half the time I'm givin it gas cause The RPM's sound so low I get the feeling it's gonna die, and the other half is because theres no givin it a lil consista throttle, it would just sit there like it was bogging down, so I have to blip tha gas to get the dam tires moving, sometimes I can be on a really steep downhill, foot mashing the **** outta brake, and it will feel as if I'm in neutral, but if I pat the gas its like the engine engages.. I hope this makes sense, I really wish i knew more about motors...

Re: Re: Re: TC STALL.. My God, Is it really this hard?

TBItoy said:
X2

The lack of low crawling gears in your rig makes the problem much worse. And if you put a low stall converter in it, it may not have enough power down low in the rpm range to crawl.

I'd do doubler first

I totally agree. I had 2500 stall in my last rig and it was perfect. I put the same in this one and had the problem you are describing. The solution was to install a doubler.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1838537-strongbox-doubler.html

Get someone to put a timing light on your motor for you, I would bet by listening to that video that your timing is really low, you could crank it up to 36-38 and I bet it would help your idle problem out alot, and I could be completely wrong on this also, it's hard to trouble shoot from videos. 20 foot or not that's a cool looking jeep also. I like the cage

kmcminn said:
didn't spell check it...blow..... i agree lower gears would help but it is still gonna gonna stall to high for him from what he has stated....and yeah its me ..don't do horse forum just enjoy riding with my kids...some of you really need to relax and stop being up tight assholes..all i have done is give a little advice he can take or not just trying to help him with ideas with his problem