• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Temp sensor?

skipnrocks

I have a 2004 Chevy 6.0 block. I have an aftermarket temperature sensor for the gauge in the dash. I know you have to pull the plug on the passenger side of the motor and tap it for the aftermarket sensor does anybody know what size you tap that out to?

Autometer and Equus make threaded adapters to screw a 1/8 NPT sender into the block. I think the block is threaded either M12 or M14. If your gauge uses the short sender the Autometer adapter will work if it's the longer sender the one from Equus will work. The Equus adapter comes in a pack with 3-4 other metric to 1/8" NPT adapters. It also has one that fits the oil pressure port on top of the block behind the intake.

hokie_yj said:
I remember seeing that thread the other day, but I had already completely forgotten about it until you posted that. It's about time somebody did that.

It only took 14 years ...

Re:

skipnrocks said:
The aquis or auto meter. Or does it require and electric guage of some sort?

Those sensors are basically just resistors. They change resistance to ground based on temp and the gauge reads that resistance to get its reading. I don't know what the "standard" resistance ranges are but most gauges use the same range. A few use oddball ranges for various reasons. I would contact VDO, see what that sensor ohm range is and do the same with the manufacturer of your gauge. Most likely they'll match and the sensor will work.