• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thoughts and Discussion.... IFS Rigs at KOH

Campbells buggy is freaking awesome. It is unreal how fast it is. I tried to follow him in the rhino the other day and got dusted. Shannon is a cool dude, I have talked to him a few times now and always super nice. I am sure he will make it right with Will. I know they were having meetings about it Friday night.

I think I'm just going to step out here as everyone knows how I feel about KOH. When the rules of "friendly" competition becomes kill or be killed something has gone terribly wrong with the competition. This isn't what rock crawling is about and I refuse to accept KOH as having anything to do with what I do when I go rock crawling. If I were one of the greenies I would use KOH as my biggest sell point on whyt o shut the hammers down.

If I was the one being run over I would get back in my rig, start it up, and floor the gas pedal while turning both front and rear tires in random directions as fast as I could in an attempt to **** the guy's **** up who's on top of me as much as possible. If I could I would attempt to hook my winch cable to his rig and make him drag my busted-ass rig to the finish line on its roof just to spite him.

Running over another rig to win a trophy and please a sponsor is just unsportsman like. No other sport allows competitors to kick eachother when they're already down.

J. J.

patooyee said:
I think I'm just going to step out here as everyone knows how I feel about KOH. When the rules of "friendly" competition becomes kill or be killed something has gone terribly wrong with the competition. This isn't what rock crawling is about and I refuse to accept KOH as having anything to do with what I do when I go rock crawling. If I were one of the greenies I would use KOH as my biggest sell point on whyt o shut the hammers down.

If I was the one being run over I would get back in my rig, start it up, and floor the gas pedal while turning both front and rear tires in random directions as fast as I could in an attempt to **** the guy's **** up who's on top of me as much as possible. If I could I would attempt to hook my winch cable to his rig and make him drag my busted-ass rig to the finish line on its roof just to spite him.

Running over another rig to win a trophy and please a sponsor is just unsportsman like. No other sport allows competitors to kick eachother when they're already down.

J. J.

Knowledge :popcorn:

Cole said:
Knowledge :popcorn:

Appearantly you don't keep up with baja or corr or anything like that. You can nerf the hell out of people to get them out of the way,or you can just watch them clog up a trail. This is one reason why they had to have hotns installed on the rigs. You blow the horn, they don't move, you make the decision... :indianajones:

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Appearantly you don't keep up with baja or corr or anything like that. You can nerf the hell out of people to get them out of the way,or you can just watch them clog up a trail. This is one reason why they had to have hotns installed on the rigs. You blow the horn, they don't move, you make the decision... :indianajones:

There's a difference between nudging and then going back after the guy that got nudged wrecks and ramming him repeatedly with your vehicle, IMO. They nudge in Nascar, too. They don't make a trip around the track and then run the guy who wrecked over. In fact, they stop the race temporarily if the dude is in the way. But Nascarr is also not stupid enough to intentionally introduce a bottleneck into the race either. Nascar has obviously learned the importance of safety through the years ...

J. J.

I saw one video on pirate of a dude standing next to his buggy in this ditch. He was trapped between a sheer wall and his buggy. The only way out was to crawl over one of his tires. He couldn't though because rigs were continusously driving over the opposite side of his buggy causing it to move and shake around like crazy. So he was just trapped down there praying that no one rolled off his buggy into him, busted the park in his trans loose causing his buggy to roll over him, or forced his buggy sideways enough to crush him. That is not safe and it is just a matter of time until someone is killed if that is how KOH is run. Shannon Campbell of all people should know the importance of safety at these events after the accident with his dad, not to mention himself.

J. J.

patooyee said:
I saw one video on pirate of a dude standing next to his buggy in this ditch. He was trapped between a sheer wall and his buggy. The only way out was to crawl over one of his tires. He couldn't though because rigs were continusously driving over the opposite side of his buggy causing it to move and shake around like crazy. So he was just trapped down there praying that no one rolled off his buggy into him, busted the park in his trans loose causing his buggy to roll over him, or forced his buggy sideways enough to crush him. That is not safe and it is just a matter of time until someone is killed if that is how KOH is run. Shannon Campbell of all people should know the importance of safety at these events after the accident with his dad, not to mention himself.

J. J.

Everyone in the race knew what to expect. It's what they signed up to do. And you're also comparing apples to oranges. Yeah i don't agree with what happened but Shannon didn't know he was DQ'd until later on in the race. I blame Whoever was running the event for not stopping him when he should have been stopped. No officials went to his pit that was right down from us at the BFG remote pit to tell them Shannon was out of the race. Sucks for Will that it happened to him. I'd be pissed with the officials, not Shannon.

My main beef is that trodding on one another's rigs in general is allowed and in that sense, yes, I do put responsibility on the officials. Since it was allowed, if Shannon did think he was still racing, I can't put blame on him. (Although I could argue the overall issue of the sanity of running over another's rig from a general safety standpoint and also the responsibility.) There are credible reports of him blowing through checkpoints before and after he ran over the rig though which would indicate that he either know he was DQed or that he would have known he was DQed at that point though. If that is the case it was an asshole move. Either way though, I do not care to argue that point.

I don't recall this being that big of an issue last year. If rigs are continued to be allowed to drive on top of one another to pass I think that racer's will eventually get fed up and stop signing up in droves knowing that the $100k rig they built can be used as a traction aid if they are unfortunate enough to break in an unopertune place. But even if they don't loose interest over time, what about the evolution of building rigs for it? I know I would personally have some sharp spikes on the outside of my rig that would tear up tires when they got on them. Then the buggies are going to eventually start looking like demolition derby cars! :)

Seriously though, people will evenually start building to incorperate being run over into their rigs to prevent being passed. Is that really the kind of competition spirit that KOH wants?

J. J.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
Everyone in the race knew what to expect. It's what they signed up to do. And you're also comparing apples to oranges. Yeah i don't agree with what happened but Shannon didn't know he was DQ'd until later on in the race. I blame Whoever was running the event for not stopping him when he should have been stopped. No officials went to his pit that was right down from us at the BFG remote pit to tell them Shannon was out of the race. Sucks for Will that it happened to him. I'd be pissed with the officials, not Shannon.

I was in the main pit when Shannon came thru at mile 61 or so. Jeff stopped him & they had a 5 minute discussion at the ribbons at the turn. Jeff said as he went out there that he should get off the course. Now what jeff actually told him is anybodies guess. The incident with Will happened after this? correct?

As for the Shannon thing, I dont know the full skinny on Will's incident or the DQ, hell I dont even know if our finish is official or not.. the communication is that lacking from checkpoint to checkpoint. We made every one of them and they always waved us on. We get there and everyone's basically drinking and partying and at first no one even noticed so what ever...

Shannon could have been on the dark on being "out" who really know's. The Nerfing thing... yea it is what it is and thats the enviroment. It was discussed and Walker Evan's tried to explain nerf etiqutte but like Daniel said, blow horn, and make the call for the most part. I know we pissed at least one guy off, but fawk if your broke as **** and we are moving, sportsman conduct would be get the hell out of the way. Dood was totally ignoring everyone trying to go around him and working his ass off to fix his rig, I dont blame him at all Im sure I would have done the same thing... but when we nudged his tire going around him and his **** was on a hi lift... and yes he FULLY knew we were coming around, Back up from the rig and let peep's around. Be aware of it and stay safe. No blood no foul. Another rig had done it in front of us and another was right on our ass too.

It's tough to call that kinda stuff not being in the situation. I hate that Will got taken out of the race by Shannon's actions. But only Will and Shannon really know how it went down and I know it was heavily discussed when everyone was back at camp, matter of fact both drivers were called to the big tent over the PA to resolve the issue with Jeff and Dave involved. Shannon got called out for it so hopefully WIll got to say his piece and feel's alright with the offerings to keep everything cool ( pretty good **** getting an automatic in for 2010 c'mon )

Rubbin is racing right. LOL

BACK ON IFS RIGS :

I didnt think they would be able to pull sick lines, **** was I wrong. SHannon passed us in Aftershock while we took a hairy line on the left side of a car broke... he took the right that I looked at and said "Nah lets go over here " to Matt and he spanked that line by the time I heard him blip the throttle and was gone again.

He killed the course pre running it during LCQ as well. Granted he can drive anything, but yea I wanna see more of these types of rigs and the technology is cool as crap. I never did get to see a whole lot of Dermo's, did peek in it his trailer at it when he first pulled up to camp... Ill have to find pics. Shannon's is fast, sick , and built to take abuse .