• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thoughts on a turbo setup on a jeep 4.0

natedawgxj said:
I done alot of reasearch when i had my buggy the thing i was worried about is the stock computer would not adjust to the boost and u had to run aftermarket fmu and pcms

The 05-06's have a "tunable" ECU. That's the main reason they didn't come out with a kit for the earlier ones to start with.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Oh ****....ill bow out then. Thought this was some trail beater.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Naw man, I appreciate the input. I was just explaining why I didn't throw stickies on it. Well, it's the street miles and the tiny pinion in the LP44 with 5.13's! Lol.

Hell yeah buddy, go for it. I've had all sorts of turbo ****....and loved every minute of it. Just make sure it's tuned right. :driving:

Re:

I was gonna say the F word then Yeah with and exclamation point at the end. So, call this fella back and get it coming your way. I have a supercharged 3.4 and as long as I have it, it will never get an LS.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

gottagofast said:
More than one available at that price?

Nosir. But you're more than welcome to check mine out after it's done and see if you want to drop the coin or not.

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
I was gonna say the F word then Yeah with and exclamation point at the end. So, call this fella back and get it coming your way. I have a supercharged 3.4 and as long as I have it, it will never get an LS.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

There's the voice of reason I was looking for!

pholmann said:
When you blow that junk ass mopar engine, I will still be your fran when you need an ls motor. :flipoff1:

Speaking of frans, when you gonna come ride? Can't be much longer or you'll be crying about it being too hawt so you will be riding the yacht!

I'll be at the HL ride at chocco. I rode Saturday at windrock with it 91. My boat is at the upholsterer getting completely redone so I wont have it back for a couple more weeks.

I'd go for it if you get a deal. After adding 35" tires to my Rubicon TJ it was annoyingly underpowered running through the PA mountain roads. Fine in flatter terrain. Every time I drove it I wanted to do a LS swap, but the jeep was too nice to give up cruise and AC, not to mention getting all the gauges to work right. For a few years I've been on the Banks list for when they get one ready for the 2004 ECUs.

I am a convinced user of turbocharged engines (Subarus mostly). Turbos are hella fun, safe if manipulated properly (boost cutoff and ignition retard/cutoff strategies have to be taken into account).

Like everyone mentioned, tuning and making sure the turbo you have is the right for the job is the key. Hopefully the Banks kit has the right parts (I have no personal experience with it) and you will have it tuned by somone who knows what they're doing.

That said I'd also say that in an offroad only vehicle I'm not sure they are the most manageable way to make power compared to a supercharger or a stroker engine. But you can't touch the fun times you'll have with them (think anti-lag and flame spitting at night :****:).

My main concern in the case of a 05-06 Wrangler would be the transmission.

Just the expense and labor of making it all work. You could install a turbo kit in a day vs an engine swap needing custom everything to make it all work. AC lines, radiator and hoses, power steering lines, gauge replacement and wiring.