• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thoughts on a turbo setup on a jeep 4.0

Re: Re: Thoughts on a turbo setup on a jeep 4.0

creepycrawly said:
Banks says 66hp and 83lbft. I'd be happy with 50 and 75.
Most samurais stock have less than both of those numbers. I think it is a great idea. Plus, turbos are ****ing cool. I am glad you are not a sheep, though you technically are at work.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

InittowiniT said:
Banks also says a day to install, so pics Monday?

It would be nice, but I am home in Alabama for a wedding and then the wife will be down for a week. I don't get to see her enough so I'll not get to start it this week. May be a couple of weeks before I knock it out.

Re: Re: Thoughts on a turbo setup on a jeep 4.0

lowbudgetjunk said:
Most samurais stock have less than both of those numbers. I think it is a great idea. Plus, turbos are ****ing cool. I am glad you are not a sheep, though you technically are at work.

Ha! I like to think of myself as a shepherd these days! But yes, it's gonna be super cool to have a boosted Jeep! Thanks for the push to do it!

So I finally got the motivation to finish this thing. I am not done sorting through the final tuning, but here are my thoughts.

1. The kit is complete and the instructions are clear and thorough. With the exception of welding the bung in the oil pan, you can easily do it in one full day in your driveway

2. The quality of the parts themselves is top notch with one exception. I got a bad boost gauge from Banks. Haven't contacted them about making it right yet, but I am not super hopeful.

3. The kit was absolutely complete including antiseize, thread sealant, silicone, and loctite.

4. The caveat to all of the above is that the kit is meant for a stock Jeep. I had all sorts of issues because my Jeep wasn't stock. I wound up cutting about 2 inches out of the boost tube to make it clear the coilover tower. I had to track down all the hardware for the tensioner and idler pulley along with the pullies themselves because I was replacing an onboard air compressor. I then made 4 trips to the parts house trying to get a belt to fit because of the PSC pump causing the supplied belt not to fit. I also had to have the exhaust welded because mine wasn't stock and the cut and clamp piece they sent wouldn't fit my aftermarket junk. I am also still working on a solution for remounting my oil pan skid because the exhaust is in the way of one of the mounting brackets now.

5. The part you've all been waiting for. The performance. It it's actually fairly....underwhelming. I am hoping that will change this week when I find time to adjust the wastegate. It is currently only making 5 psi and is supposed to make 7. I am hoping an extra 2-3 psi will help. There is ZERO lag and the turbo spools super fast, but that also means it's always in boost. I guess it did help a little on the bottom end and midrange. It doesn't feel like it made any difference up top.

All in all, I definitely don't think I would do another one. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else either. If that changes and there are substantial increases with 2-3 more pounds of boost, I'll let you guys know.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, flag me down. I'd be happy to show it to ya or take you for a spin.

The Luke said:
But it sounds cool. And that's all that really matters.

I am gonna throw on a spacer so the BOV will vent to atmosphere...because boost. I want everyone to know it's got it.

On a side note, I forgot to mention, it really made the Jeep quieter. It has a spintech muffler on it and wasn't loud before by any means...but it's super quiet now.

Maybe you could sell the turbo 4.0 and buy a BBC from the guy that almost bought a CUCV and ran 37's or 40's. I bet 700hp would get that Jeep moving down the road.

Ok, so I got it making just under 7.5 lbs now and it was a pretty significant improvement from 4. It makes awesome midrange now. Top end is still nothing impressive. I've never seen much point in revving a 4.0 past 4 grand. They just fall on their face. This delays that a little, but doesn't solve it. Bottom and midrange are definitely much improved. There is ZERO lag. This thing spools stupid fast. I don't know how to post videos, but I've got lots from trying to get it dialed in.

I am much happier with it now.

Re:

You said turbo and not happy in the same sentence. Are you a real man? Or just a boy? Seriously though, low end and mid range is what you want. Besides me, who lives on the Rev limiter that isn't racing?

Re:

lowbudgetjunk said:
You said turbo and not happy in the same sentence. Are you a real man? Or just a boy? Seriously though, low end and mid range is what you want. Besides me, who lives on the Rev limiter that isn't racing?

I wasn't looking for top end. It makes the power where it should now. At 4 lbs, it wasn't worth the hassle. At 7.5 lbs, it's miles o' smiles!

Re: Re:

creepycrawly said:
I wasn't looking for top end. It makes the power where it should now. At 4 lbs, it wasn't worth the hassle. At 7.5 lbs, it's miles o' smiles!
Pics or it didn't happen

Re:

creepycrawly said:

Boost is worse than crack. 8 lbs will feel like a turd to you soon, then 10, then 12, then 25 then 28 and next thing you know your Grand National will be sitting in the weeds rusting away with a busted block :****:

Man I appreciate you updating this, I was really curious how it would turn out. Glad you are more satisfied with it at 7.5 lbs of boost also. Not sure if you ever did mention it, but I'm curious what kind of deal you got on this.

I put 35's on my LJ with 5.13's and it helped a lot, but can't help but wonder if the turbo setup would be worth it. This doesn't help! Ha