• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what to do with a dog that bites?

muddinmetal said:
Any one with a large breed dog.... Food aggression is the beginning of the end. You MUST train them at a puppy that all food is yours until you're nice enough to give it to them. It's cute or even funny to some if a wiener dog nips you over his milk bone, but when a large dog does it, it's just not that damn funny... I love my dogs and would fight for either one of them, but if they bite my family I wont think twice to send them to doggy Heaven.

Dogs are pets, not humans. Treat them as such. I love my dogs, but it isn't the love I have for my wife or child. Nor do I treat them the same. Try reading this at minimum. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/linksbehavior.htm

Bang, got to restore the whole trust "you must love the dog more than me because you kept it" issue that any woman would have. And you have access to implements that make digging a hole easy.

That's a nasty bite, hope she makes a full recovery.

grcthird said:
Bang, got to restore the whole trust "you must love the dog more than me because you kept it" issue that any woman would have. And you have access to implements that make digging a hole easy.

That's a nasty bite, hope she makes a full recovery.

It was the wife that made the decision to keep it. My brother was going to throw it out into traffic.

I do have access to a 6' wide diesel powered shovel now that you mention it ;D

I would have shot the dog the minute it bit my wife if I was him.
And yes I do like dogs and animals

JohnG said:
After seeing that pic, if you can't put it down, take it to the vet and have them do it. No way that dog can ever be trusted.

yep, that dog is junk at this point, be humane and have it put down.

How did the dog act after he bit her? I know its kinda splitting hairs but was he just surprised by her? Did he seem aggressive or did he try to clean her up? Mom had a lab that was startled by my 2 year old niece once. He turned and nipped her then started licking where he got her and whining. He knew he hurt her but didn't mean to.

Nuts said:
How did the dog act after he bit her? I know its kinda splitting hairs but was he just surprised by her? Did he seem aggressive or did he try to clean her up? Mom had a lab that was startled by my 2 year old niece once. He turned and nipped her then started licking where he got her and whining. He knew he hurt her but didn't mean to.

I doubt the dog had much time to do anything before it got hit. He did make the comment that going nose to nose with a dog thats eating in the dark wasnt a good idea to begin with.

Re: Re: what to do with a dog that bites?

I've had blue heelers in the past and 1 would not let you around any body of water... and was very food aggressive. Was not child safe. But best farm dog ever. If I had a family then, it would have been long gone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Had to get rid of a family pet that got hit by a car, and had some broken bones. The 20 mins thinking about it sucked. But after I felt I did the right thing. It's harder to plan it, then doing it. If it was me give it away or get rid of it quick ( two to the head )

Why do you guys wanna shoot everything?take it to the vet and have it put to sleep humanely,the way you treat the dog has alot to do with how aggresive they are,and alot of people put themselves in harm's way by putting their faces in the dogs face and messing with them.Im not saying in this case the girl deserved it,because Im not,but you gotta admit ,everyone has probably seen someone do something stupid to a dog and should have gotten bit for it.

gray tj said:
Why do you guys wanna shoot everything?take it to the vet and have it put to sleep humanely,the way you treat the dog has alot to do with how aggresive they are,and alot of people put themselves in harm's way by putting their faces in the dogs face and messing with them.Im not saying in this case the girl deserved it,because Im not,but you gotta admit ,everyone has probably seen someone do something stupid to a dog and should have gotten bit for it.

I have seen first hand a dog put to sleep (not my dog) and it looks way more painful than one shot to the head. It is no fast process and the dog is fighting for its life the enitre time. After seeing it I said I would never put a dog to sleep again.

wont work said:
I have seen first hand a dog put to sleep (not my dog) and it looks way more painful than one shot to the head. It is no fast process and the dog is fighting for its life the enitre time. After seeing it I said I would never put a dog to sleep again.

Agreed, but most folks are okay with it because they dont see it themselves. If you cant put the dog down yourself call a friend. Now thats a test of a true friend, that he'll come shoot your dog for you, knowing you cant do it yourself. And yes typing this teared me up a bit.

Everyone has their ways of doing things but there is no way Im shooting or letting my friend shoot my dog after being my best friend for years,no matter what he did.I dont think one mistake deserves death.Just like at the Pittsburg zoo,a kid falls into the enclosure because his mom puts him on the railing,and what did they do SHOOT the dog..Why?Shoot the mom for being so damm stupid..

I love my dog, she is at my feet under my desk all day every day. we do everything together.... but if she bit one of my kids or my wife she would be dead in the woods where we love to walk before the sun went down.

Im just gonna stop before i say something that offends someone.kill em all...I wish we could just shoot stupid people too.that wouls say money.

How about finding a different home for the dog? If it's a registered or purebred dog a breeder may be interested in taking him (live out his days all up in some *****, we should all be so lucky) or maybe some farmer who can just let him do his thing. I had an Aussie and she was a great dog, extremely loyal and protective, smart as hell and always wanting to please. On the other hand she was pretty much a 1 person dog, not too sociable with anyone else. They're bred to work, go full speed all day, every day and if they can't they get grouchy. If your brother is set on keeping the dog, he needs to be sure that it has the opportunity to run it's ass off every day and get it clipped, that really calms them down.

I rescued a super skinny, starving to death, mangy cover dog about a month and a half ago. I found her walking down the road in the rural delta. I told my girlfriend to stop and if this dog comes to me, I'll feed her and see if she makes it. I could tell by looking she was a pit bull. I'm not a fan of the breed but I wasn't gonna let her starve. I told her to come here. She did. I picked her up and feed her for a couple of weeks to see if she would pull through.

It worked out pretty well cause I needed a farm dog anyway to look after the property when I'm gone. My nearest neighbor is over a mile away. She's really healthy now and I or my family have had any issues with her. You can grab food out her bowl while she's eating and she just looks at you.

Every thing has been great with her until this weekend. A guy I know owns a shop next door. He pulled up with his wife and baby at the shop. I went over to talk to him and the dog went from 0 to snarling, barking, and protectively pissed off in no time flat. I was shocked and yelled at her to stop. She did but I'm not Sure if I wasn't there she would not have tore his ass up.

She never left my yard. She stood at the edge of the property raising hell. Lucky for me my girlfriend was right behind me and I asked her to put her up for me. I'm really concerned that she might go after him one day and he'd have to shot her. I can't blame him. I would do the same. The promising thing was, that she never left my property. She was stammering back and forth at the line, but I just hope she will hold up there the next time it happens.

I hate to say this because I am a dog lover, but if any of my dogs bit my loved ones like that, they would have never made it home. We, as owners are responsible for our animals. To each their own, but I could not live with a dog of mine injuring or possibly killing someone I loved. It's bad enough when a dog attacks unknowingly but when you know there is an issue, you have to take a stand.

I hope that the wife heals up quickly and there are no signs of this even happening to her. I wish her the best.