• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which welder

bushhog750

Can you guys recommend some welders that you have had some good luck out of. All I have had is my old miller thunderbolt that still welds to this day. Looking to get into a mig machine and would like to try and get one around $1500.00 or possibly a few hundred more if need be. Any recommendations around this price range. It will be used for general fabrication on my buggy mostly. Im no fabricator but would like to get the most machine for my money.

crawlin85cj said:
I have the Hobart Ironman 210 in the shop at my house and it is awesome. It's probably the best welding mig I've used.
I have looked at that one already. I like it, I also like the miller 211. I went to the local welding supply and all they carry is lincoln and miller. I had some other people recommend ESAB also. I dont know much about mig machines so im going off feedback alone. I looked at the iron man at tractor supply today.

Lincoln and Miller is you better welders with Hobart a good choice for someone that's not going into production.
I would stay away from esab as I have heard and seen horror stories from them. People will argue which is better but it's really up the the operator and what your gona do with it. I myself prefer Miller. I have 18 Miller welders at the school, 4 in my personal shop, and 3 portable and don't have any problems other than consumables with them. Half of them are also over 20 years old also.

Now the 211 you are looking at is a nice welder and would probably suit your needs. Also your welding supply store keeps parts in stock to fit them so that would be a big selling factor for me of the Lincoln or Miller.

if all you're going to do is the occasional maintenance type work on a buggy/rigs, the smaller Hobart 175/187/190 welders are hard to beat. They have a smaller torch that is easy for welding in tight spaces and doing tube work, but still can run .035 and get good penetration when doing axle work.

I have a 175 that I got in high school, they've since upgraded that model a couple times.

Miller 211 autoset. Sounds like you don't need more duty capacity and it is a lot of machine for the coin. I have always been pleased with cyberweld if you are looking around. 2c

I have an ESAB 208 and haven't done a thing but change wire spool and gas bottle for years! Welds like a champ! But miller and Lincoln do too! Stick with a quality company not harbor freight or cheap welders, you get what you pay for as cheaper welders don't use quality components inside

crawlin85cj said:
I have the Hobart Ironman 210 in the shop at my house and it is awesome. It's probably the best welding mig I've used.

X2....i've had mine going strong for about 7 years now

Rockwells607 said:
I have an ESAB 208 and haven't done a thing but change wire spool and gas bottle for years! Welds like a champ! But miller and Lincoln do too! Stick with a quality company not harbor freight or cheap welders, you get what you pay for as cheaper welders don't use quality components inside
I wont be buying any cheap **** thats for sure. Im thinking the miller 211 as it was mentioned that my local supply store is a miller dealer and parts and such are available. Does anyone know what model Lincoln is comparble to the 211. I know I can go look at them both at the dealer but I think like most other dealers they are looking to make the most money so hes going to point the finger at the more expensive machine.

I think your correct. I think Hobart is a spin off of miller. If that's the truth I should think more about the comparable Hobart machine.

I was told that hobart and miller are the same thing but miller has the newest electronics and stuff and hobart is just generation behind idk how much of that is true tho. I just bought a 211 and I like it alot. I've bought the 211 and a tig from cyberweld and both showed up fast.

My Hobart came with a miller lead right out of the box. I have the 210 in the smaller box, check out the new version of it since its dual voltage, may come in handy if you need to take the welder away from the shop.

Miller owns Hobart thats why they share the same parts. The Miller Autoset 211 is a great machine & for around $200 you can add a spool gun for aluminum.

as is mentioned before, the Hobart is made by Miller...

So, for me it was a no-brainer to get the Handler 210 MVP, as it has the dual volt plug for portability and still has the capacity to weld some really thick metal in a single pass...

btw, if anyone was goin to do production, do you think they would be asking for advice on a wheelin' board....

l8r, John

Jduck said:
My Hobart came with a miller lead right out of the box. I have the 210 in the smaller box, check out the new version of it since its dual voltage, may come in handy if you need to take the welder away from the shop.

That 210 MVP looks like a pretty nice little setup. They've upgraded them small box welders quite a bit since I got my Handler 175 12 years ago thumb.gif

That SpoolRunner 100 plug in spool gun looks like a neat add on too, esp for only $250

I recently picked up two Miller 251's for less than 1000 each. I would recommend keeping at eye on the used market as well. You may find some good deals out there. Both of the machines I bought came from a shop closing down. If you have to buy new the Miller 211 would be a good machine to keep you in the budget range you want.

Dan

Ask 100 welders which is better a Lincoln or Miller and it'll be split down the middle. My experience is the Millers are a bit smoother and the Lincolns are a bit tougher. Pipeliners use Lincolns primarily and robotic welders use Millers.
Either would be great. With your budget you'll be fine.

motobilt said:
I recently picked up two Miller 251's for less than 1000 each. I would recommend keeping at eye on the used market as well. You may find some good deals out there. Both of the machines I bought came from a shop closing down. If you have to buy new the Miller 211 would be a good machine to keep you in the budget range you want.

Dan
I would buy a used welder and as you stated I could get a little more machine for my money but I don't know enough about a mig machine to know if I'm buying someone else's problem. That's really the only reason I'm planning on buying new is so I know it's new and I know what it's been out thru and that it will be cared for. If hate to spend that amount money and buy someone else's piece of ****. I have looked at Craigslist for a month or better now looking for a deal.