• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who has cut the cable?

Bedgood said:
Yeah everyone has there reasons, i know whatcha mean about midnights as im similar in my work, no cable= more time with wife ;)

By the time I get home my wife has been asleep for 2 hours. And after 17 hours at work I'm not exactly feeling frisky or smelling sexy. That is, unless the smell of smokey BBQ sauce mixed with sweat turns you on. :)

Bringing this BttT!

I'm finally about ready to get rid of cable. Mediacom finally has an internet-only plan that is attractive. I am wondering what people have done to get OTA signal from a single antenna to all the TV's in the house? I'm not talking about a shitty $20 Wal-Mart antenna either. I want something professional that I won't always be screwing with.

I seriously considered it a few months ago. Now I think I'm about to go back to Dish, over our local cable provider whom I'm currently with. I think all in all, tv programming from a single big provider, in current times, is just too much more convenient than streaming over Roku or whatever device with apps and such.

I wish I could just pay a fixed cheaper price for the channels I watch instead of 200 more that never get watched.

Science Channel
History
AMC
Comedy Central

Science Channel is pretty much what my tv stays on, majority of the time.

TacomaJD said:
Science Channel is pretty much what my tv stays on, majority of the time.

x2. That and Disney Jr. for my daughter. But she doesn't care if its Disney or not. She just wants cartoons.

So I guess right now the cable company line comes into my house on a junction box on the wall outside behind the bushes. Would I just disconnect that and plug in an OTA antenna instead and then all my TV's would have that signal?

I have a digital hd ota antenna I get anywhere from 4- 17 channels depending on weather. To go to multiple rooms you would need amplifiers at each tv the antenna comes with one! Just run to your main line and threw the splitters just like cable.

I haven't had cable since 2009. I watch the hell outta NBC, so I only miss fooseball in fall... which I just got to the bar to watch. No big deal.

Buy this and mount it on a pole. I use it on the motor-house and the range is nearly 60 miles.

68415n-king.jpg

The other thing I recommend is the big old-school unit you can buy at Home-Depot or Lowes, it'll cost about $100 though. The trick is to have an inline signal booster that takes like 11 volts from a wall adapter. It's jus "inline" on the coax cable to boost the signal.

Antenna and roku. I get about 30 channels on the antenna and mostly netflix and YouTube on the roku.

You can even add ustream channel to roku to watch KOH.

I did see that Disney is now available on demand on roku.

We have 2 roku hdmi sticks. One for upstairs and one for down.

Just beware of data usage with roku. My fiancé went thru 270 gb of data one month by watching show after show on the roku as white noise while working around the house.

We cut the cable many months ago when Time Warner raised the bill. We have a Sony 'Smart' TV and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. We have a 4.5 yr old, so I never get time to watch TV unless it is maybe 30 minutes of cartoons with him. If I did have time to watch TV, I would be out in my garage instead.

Re:

I use the DroidTV app exclusively for TV stuff now. The app is on the Amazon market and there is a Facebook group and website to download the app to any android device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

patooyee said:
Bringing this BttT!

I'm finally about ready to get rid of cable. Mediacom finally has an internet-only plan that is attractive. I am wondering what people have done to get OTA signal from a single antenna to all the TV's in the house? I'm not talking about a shitty $20 Wal-Mart antenna either. I want something professional that I won't always be screwing with.

I cut the direcTV off about 4 years ago and I haven't looked back.

I am not 100% sure but I think that Mediacom has usage limits...like 250gb a month. I use way more than 250gb but I stream TV non-stop...and often to 2 or 3 TVs.

Antenna...get a good one! Mine was about $300 for the antenna, rotor and booster. It picks up like a champ! I get channels that are 70-80 miles away without problem. It is the HD stacker for here... http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/

Streaming machine...roku is probably the simplest and most effective. There are lots of options here but the Roku simply works and has lots of channel options. Roku will get you Netflix, hulu, amazon etc.

Chromecast...allows you to put your computer screen on the TV without wires. I don't use mine a whole lot...but I do watch some baseball via the internet. I recommend buying a cheap chromebook laptop to use for streaming via the chromecast. There are not many viruses for the chrome OS and it runs great! My chromebook is about 2yrs old and has played countless hrs of TV without issue. BTW...adblock plus is a must!

There are a **** ton of websites out there that have either live streams of cable channels or cable shows available to stream right after they air. I was able to watch Game Of Thrones latest season about 1hr after the HBO showing. I watch live cardinal baseball a couple nights a week.

Basically...its not as easy as having DirecTV but with a little effort you can watch whatever you want and whenever you want

Re:

Well we were going to cut off our dish network a few months ago, but when I called to do it they kept dropping the price, it started off at like $70 a month, I called to cancel they said what if we make it $50, nope cancel it, we'll what about $40, I said cancel it. What if we could do $30? Are you not hearing me? I said cancel it. We know you want to cancel, but if you will stay with us we will do it for $20 a month, so I said **** it I'll just keep it for $20 a month.

Just goes to show they are screwing us all bad, if they can drop the price from $70 to $20 just to keep me from cancelling

Very curious about the sling.com. I think I may do a free trial before I drop my local cable. I am paying $138/mo for cable and internet. I can get the same internet for $40 /mo through them and then the package I would want from sling for $25/mo so I would be under half the cost. I don't watch a lot of TV but in the same light I don't want to regret the switch either. Definitely will be looking into this...

Really wish the woman woulda just said hey, what can we do to keep you? But it didn't go that way at all.

Re:

I just said **** it, tired of paying, and cancelled everything yesterday. No internet or TV until next week when Mediacom comes to install new internet.

Now that the cable is cut I am shopping for OTA antennas. I know I need a directional antenna because all the stations are within 5* of each other for me. I also need both UHF and VHF. I want to mount it in my attic. Any suggestions?

Funny This topic was brought up again. I'm bout to cut more than the cable. Please tell me 250 is crazy for basic cable and Internet, before I make an ass outta myself. These fawkers have lost their dam mind! I'll put a old skool big ass antenna on the house and wait for dial up before I pay 250 a month.