• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rock Bouncer Flatty Build - Day Fabrication style

TURNEROFFROAD

Wow, where do I start? When this project first started a couple of years ago, I had on my mind to build a unique trail rig that was pretty well-rounded... And as most projects go, it got out of hand. When Heath (Xjpaddler) got involved with the build it changed direction 180 degrees from a Unimog axled boulder hoping ride to a Hopefully a Do EVERYTHING well rig ( time will tell LOL ) on custom sheetmetal housing Rockwells and a Varible turbocharged Buick series II 3800 V6. I'll post up some spec and pix hopefully tonight of the progress.

The Motor -Comp Cams, duration @ .050": 226º/218º, lobe lifts: .343"/.346", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .549"/.553", lobe separation angle: 116º, intake centerline: 110

Diamond Racing Forged pistons - stock bore and a compression ratio of 8.0 to 1

Full Roller valvetrain and ARP fasteners throughout

Cylinder heads -- 1.90 1.55 Manley valves, Titanium retainers and Bronze guides, 9 angle valve job and 130# valve springs, head porting to the MAX

Running 120# per/hr low impedance fuel injectors and injector driver module

Powdered Metal Connecting Rods and a Balanced Rotating assembly and ARP Everything

I'm running a 60mm compressor wheeled Turbo with a varible exhasut housing...

Re: Just another Run-of-the-mill Tube chassis Flatty Build - Day Fabrication style

You say a 60mm ? :eek: What hp upper 5s?

Re: Just another Run-of-the-mill Tube chassis Flatty Build - Day Fabrication style

The turbo maps show Enough air for 750-800. My goal is a SOLID 600

Motor is built for 30 psi of boost

I'll post up the compressor map when I have a chance ( I'm driving). There are several of these turbos on engines of similar size making 550-700 on a Dyno

Another goal is near INSTANT Spool

you say 30 psi? :eek: I hope that you have some really good parts.Air to water cooler?I saw a LS2 stock bottom end,but he changed the ring gap make 970 RWHP and he @15psi.

KyTrash said:
you say 30 psi? :eek: I hope that you have some really good parts.Air to water cooler?I saw a LS2 stock bottom end,but he changed the ring gap make 970 RWHP and he @15psi.

Lol. I didn't say I was running that much. I said the build was setup to stand that much ( given proper tune and detonation under control )

I really wanna stay under 20-24# less if the desired power level is reached. I don't have I have the MOST power, just enough :D

It all started as something like this...
6cd29a0e-3f7c-c8ac.jpg

But quickly morphed into this...

6cd29a0e-3f9e-c967.jpg

We really wanted to keep the old Willys lines in this Buggy...

6cd29a0e-3fca-a977.jpg

6cd29a0e-3fdf-9106.jpg

6cd29a0e-3ffd-67bb.jpg

The axles should be a sweet setup...

6cd29a0e-4068-b543.jpg

Essentially Offroad came through with the Heims. Thanks Jimmy
6cd29a0e-411c-845c.jpg

KyTrash said:

I have an Air to Air and Water injection to handle the Hot air
a693481f-4565-9a72.jpg

Keep in mind That this engine is only 231 cubic inches!!! It's gonna take a lil more Boost to hang with the big boys

Those are good looking shock mounts ona nice looking buggy.

Did yo fab up the rockwells?

ridered3 said:
Those are good looking shock mounts ona nice looking buggy.

Did yo fab up the rockwells?

Thanks Heath Day (Xjpaddler) did. He's responsible for the fab work on this build, and I guess I'm responsible If it won't get out of its own way or Burns down. Lol

He's the Talented one of us and I'm just a tech kinda guy. Maybe I'll learn metal working one of these days...

this build will offically get started within the next 2 weeks. Im really curious to see how it all works out. It would have been much easier to get a big block under the hood!!! all this turbo carbage is hard to package laughing1

Ha... But EVERYBODY has a Big Block or an LS under their Hood. I wanted to do it different.... lol

I love flattys... Kinda wierd I want one bad setup mean like this.

EOR MFG said:
I love flattys... Kinda wierd I want one bad setup mean like this.

Surely you know someone that could build ya one? thumb.gif

A few updated pictures, Guys I'm getting excited, it's coming together slowly but surely

The Flatty will be 70" to the top of the cage at ride height... pretty low swung for a Rockwell buggy, Heath is doing a Fantastic Job !!!
I can't wait til its done, I wanna test it's metal

cefffd04-3862-3637.jpg

cefffd04-389f-bbd5.jpg

cefffd04-38ad-0184.jpg

That thing is lookin good. You gonna be ready for the srrs next year?

Latest posts