• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trailer Tie Down Kits - Going to order today, point me in the right direction

Steele3

Looking to buy a set of dedicated trailer tie downs, something lighter than my chains and binders, to keep in the tow rig so I don't have to hunt them up.

I've looked at Summit/Jegs and at the Macs ones, which look to be the best but just not sure if there are any i'm missing or same quality for better price.

I looked and searched the Vendor section, but all I came up with was Limiting straps, but If they sell these i'm sure they probably also sell Tie downs.

I was fixing to order the Mac's but figured I would ask here first before I did.

Speedwaymotors.com This is where I ordered mine from @ around $100 a set if I recall correctly. You may have to call them. great to deal with. Good luck

http://www.talcospecialties.com/car-tie-down.aspx

I have bought from those guys. They have a good selection and the prices weren't to bad. I tie mine down with the tires like this.

IMG_0164.JPG

Re:

Several of us run these. I'm happy with them.

http://www.gpartsinc.com/p-5848-4-axle-straps-car-carrier-tie-down-straps-with-ratchets-tow-straps.aspx

You guys like the axle wrap piece being intergrated into the strap?

At first I didnt like it as well but there may be no down side to it

Those axle straps are nice. I saw a tow truck bring a car or two in to work tied down by the tires and then picked up the straps I have. I don't think I'll be going back to the axle straps. It's nice not to have to crawl under a dirty rig at the end of the day. Plus it hold the truck in place like a champ.

I've always just bought from tractor supply or rural king. Whichever had them in stock (farm country, axle straps sell like hotcakes apparently)

Ive just never seen the short ties with the axle wraps around stores like that.

Ive see all kinds of "ratchet straps" but not the short ones with axle ties.

jta said:
Those axle straps are nice. I saw a tow truck bring a car or two in to work tied down by the tires and then picked up the straps I have. I don't think I'll be going back to the axle straps. It's nice not to have to crawl under a dirty rig at the end of the day. Plus it hold the truck in place like a champ.

Whats worse, crawling under a dirty rig or having to deal with muddy tires and muddy straps?

Re:

I do two ratchet straps to a welded loop on the middle of the front axle and a single chain going under rear axle tubes and over the chunk.

Drive forward to tighten up rear chain....ratchet down front.

Tony that's close to what I am doing now with two chains and ratchet boomers. It works fine I was just looking for a lighter setup with the straps, and I haul a lot of different rigs/trucks. I liked how the short straps stow away in a small duffle bag and were always in one place and easy to grab if you needed to move between vehicles.

I just can't decide between the Macs and ones on Amazon or Summit. About 80 bucks difference but same weight rating

Steele3 said:
I just can't decide between the Macs and ones on Amazon or Summit. About 80 bucks difference but same weight rating

I bought the Summit's and did not like them, so I immediately sold them on here. The quality was fine, but I was replacing a set that the ratchet mechanism ratcheted 180 degrees. The Summit brand only ratcheted 90 degrees, requiring twice as many pulls to get tight.

Steele3 said:
I was hoping to find a cyber Monday deal on the Macs but no luck yet, just free shipping off there site.

Did you look at the ones I posted? Under promotions on the site says enter "thanksgiving" for 10% off

Ranger, I did look at them, I don't think I want the axle strap tied into the rest of the strap. But that is a great deal otherwise.

JohnG, I was sold on the summits till you told me that, but I think I could deal with it considering the deal they have on them, and they come with a free tote.
What did you go with JohnG?