• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

99-04 Superduty brake conversion.

RustyC

I needed to replace a cracked rotor on the buggy and after researching rotors that I would not have to redrill to 8-6.5", I come up with this.
I use a set of 99-04 Ford Superduty outers on the 609 in the buggy. The Superduty brakes are very good at locking up the tires almost too good. Hydroboost and matching Superduty master cylinder. I wanted to have a lighter simpler brake setup with plans to use for years to come.

Parts needed.
Rear rotors: from a 2002 E-350 club van. They have a 8-6.5" pattern not the metric 8-170mm pattern. They do need a little machine work to open up the rotor hub register to 5.085" This could be done with a grinder if needed. The wheel studs could also be removed and the unit bearing machined to allow the rotor to slip on as well.
Front calipers and pads: from a 1977 GM C-20 pickup. This is the same caliper used for rear full float disc conversion.
Then you need to fabricate a simple bracket to mount the steering knuckle. Then drill and tap a couple holes to mount the caliper to.
The new rotor, caliper combonation saved 15 lbs per side or 30lbs from the front axle.
Additional benefit is lower cost of replacement brake parts and having matching calipers front and rear.
Hopefully we will see some vendors start making their version of the bracket to allow a bolt on kit for these axles.

2002 E-350 rear rotor, 1977 C-20 front caliper, fabricated mount.
35 lbs per side.

This i.d. of the rotor needs to be opened up to slip over the unit bearing that has been redrilled to 8-6.5"

Very cool. I'm looking into making a 8 lug brake kit using Cadillac limousine rear rotors and Toyota calipers. It should shed a lot of weight

getimage.php

I don't have any 15"wheels to check with but I doubt it would. Due to the size of the rotor. It is roughly about the same as the stock twin piston stuff.
I do have some 16" wheels and will try to check them and report back.

Thanks. I'm working on some axles that will retain the 8x170 pattern but I need smaller brakes than stock to fit my re centered H1's. I was going to start with the same caliper but a rotor that is .23" larger. Would you say that you had about .115" of space between your caliper and wheels?

11/32" or .343" clearance between the caliper and an 8 bolt H1.
This could be just a bit more maybe 1/8" if the caliper was mounted closer to the rotor hat. The edges of the shoes are close to the rotor hat. I plan to work on it tomorrow and I will take pics and measure that area.

Re: 99-04 Superduty brake conversion.

Been lookin for this tech for a week on pirate. **** honkie

What do you think about upgrading the upper ball joint?

Technician said:
What do you think about upgrading the upper ball joint?

I haven't had any issues with the ball joints so far but have been watching things develop in upgrading them. Interested to see how it works out.