• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What fans do you run? One of my caddy fans DOA!

kushKrawlin

I know many people buy dual fan set ups from Summit or what not.. And I have looked at all of them. Absolutely ridiculous.. Considering you can get dual fans from other cars or a Taurus fan, Lincoln Mark III fan for dam near nothin.. I just lucked up last time, A buddy just happen to have these fans, from a Cadillac .. My other fan was not cutting it.. I could be at 200 or 210 and turn these fans on, and bring the temps down to normal riding tamps in what seems like a few seconds... One of them went out, so I'm thinking of cutting it in half, and putting another fan on there. I have a dual fan set up from a Maxima, which I have already cut in half to see if it'll work. It's just such a pain in the ass to do all that if it won't. So I was wondering for those that are not running the three to $400 aftermarket brands. Which vehicle did you get your fans from?? I am a firm believer in the Cadillac fans. I just had to do some major trimming to get it to fit. Thought I would ask as I'm sure some of you crafty fawkers have a lot better set ups as my Dumass. I need to get this going , so I will be on eBay looking for used fans. Wanted to hear from you guys first. Thanks fellas.

taurus or volvo fan and go wheeling with the money you save…

they are approximately 16 inch fans.. the shrouds can vary a little.. the volvo is more friendly to mounting to a flat shroud but the taurus shroud is handy if your radiator is the right size for it..

Re: What fans do you run? One of my caddy fans DOA!

Stretch said:
Volvo fan...like a Taurus but better.

This. Bonus if you can use the Volvo relay pack to control it. It's one relay that controls both speeds and uses a ground trigger to activate them.

Okay that's what I was leaning towards after reading forever on fans and seeing the Volvo And tarus set up.. Everyone keeps talking about the proper way to wire it because it draws so much starting off.. What I'll be okay just with the basic wiring of relay, fuse, switch? I know with the Volvo fan the factory relay is the way to go, But do I need to make sure I have a heavy duty alternator like somewhere saying? Electrical stuff really confuses me. I actually have a buddy that does it for a living I will get him to do it. Just want to make sure it's done right and not fry my ****. Thanks fellas!!

I'm running a 2001 crown Vic fan its 18" . a lot of trimming but works well! Used 10ga wire to a 75A push pull switch no relay no problems yet been working good for over a year!

For the wiring you just need about a 10ga. or so fused wire feeding the relay, a ground for the relay, and some way of switching the ground triggers for each speed on the relay. You can do it a few different ways. Just google volvo fan wiring and you'll find a ton of information.

$20 Taurus fan fits great on my Toyota 4 cyl. radiator and keeps my turbo 2rz cool no problem.

Re:

I have a Taurus fan and haven't seem to get the high speed wired right so I just run it on low which worked fine all year till I went to drive up Black Mountain on the Putney side.

If you wire the fan to always start on low, then switch to high, you don't have to worry about the massive amperage draw… only if you wire it up to be able to go from off to hi do you need to compensate for the extra amperage. I have a nice diagram for wiring it up this way but I can't post it for some reason.. if any of y'all want it I can email it..

I run a relay rated for 100 amp continuous draw for the high speed on my Taurus fan. Works great with just the high setting it only kicks on for 5-10 seconds @ a time and keeps the motor at 188-193 degrees F.

zjtrey said:
If you wire the fan to always start on low, then switch to high, you don't have to worry about the massive amperage draw… only if you wire it up to be able to go from off to hi do you need to compensate for the extra amperage. I have a nice diagram for wiring it up this way but I can't post it for some reason.. if any of y'all want it I can email it..
are you one of the NC guys coming to Ivy this weekend? If so I will be asking you about that.

Yeah Zach, I'll be up there this weekend PM me your email address if you want and I can email you the diagram cause there's no way ill be able to explain it clearly enough haha.. we met last time i was up there i believe.

When I was building I read a bunch about Taurus fans, Volvo fans etc. I couldn't find any local for cheap. I ended up using Oreilly brand 2200 cfm single fan. I think it's $86 and I run a flex a lite brand aluminum shroud that was $100 but that was to custom fit my radiator. So under $200. Im 5 years in on it. To me that was a win