• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom Dana 70 front

Fire Freak

I built this with parts I had. It started life as a 68 power wagon w300 front axle. I cut the closed knuckle off and had Dana 60 tubes with Cs on them turned down to fit inside the huge 3.5 inch axle tubes of the 70. Then slid them inside for a double tubed axle and welded around the end. This is the second one I have done. The first I used GM 60 shafts. This one I wanted a Lil wider. So I took any and all measurements I could find . I came up with Ford inner axle shafts. 78- 79 short side. ( one inch longer than a GM short) and 85- 87 long side.( 1.5 inches longer than a GM long side.) I used GM stubs . Dodge external hubs where used because like I said its what I had. With the 3/4 ton brake conversion I had machine 5/8 of an inch off the back side of the hubs. Pictures are being difficult to load.

Damn no comments not even flaming me for not building a 14 bolt! Guess no one gives a **** unless your top of the bouncer food chain. :****:

Fire Freak said:
Damn no comments not even flaming me for not building a 14 bolt! Guess no one gives a **** unless your top of the bouncer food chain. :****:

I like it Clifton! I bet that sucker is not light!

and I am on top of the bouncer chain! ......well kinda....and by kinda I mean a little.....and by a little I mean not at all ...whats a bouncer? :dunno:

Looks good, I thought about something like this when I built my 60 but never could find a F70. I Take it there are a bunch of plug welds that have been smoothed and painted? Got any pics of it in process...?

I love this,, i have all Dana 70 stuff laying around here,, wanted to do a 14bolt front with my D70 inner C's- but hell i may just do this!! thumb.gif thumb.gif thumb.gif thumb.gif thumb.gif

smbroady82 said:
I like it Clifton! I bet that sucker is not light!

and I am on top of the bouncer chain! ......well kinda....and by kinda I mean a little.....and by a little I mean not at all ...whats a bouncer? :dunno:
it isn't much heavier than a 60 I bet just a pound or three

Re:

I need something like this if keep breaking knuckles on our jeep. Nice man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JeffH454 said:
Looks good, I thought about something like this when I built my 60 but never could find a F70. I Take it there are a bunch of plug welds that have been smoothed and painted? Got any pics of it in process...?
Craigslist or eBay search Dana 70 front there was two in Tennessee last yr. And I can't get pictures to load from my tablet only have a couple more anyway didn't take a lot, sorry

juicetenn said:
I need something like this if keep breaking knuckles on our jeep. Nice man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
thanks man

Re:

I like this build allot. I don't know why more people don't run 70 fronts. I have a 60 with the same hubs and went through the same thing on the brakes. Keep the updates coming man.

Drew Pate
Cordova Al

Fire Freak said:
Yes the axle tubes looked like swiss cheese. The axle seals are off the shelf Dana 70 stuff. That are bigger than Dana 60 stuff. http://www.quad4x4.com/qu40382.html is a link to where I got them. They should work in a 14 bolt nicely.
Freakn awesome,, well,, after revisting this,, i just got off the phone with a dude that has the center section of the axle that has me surly building a front D70 over the 14bolt--- its a HP dana 70 front center section- needs 4" tubes,, my Dana 70 KP inner C's can easly be bored to except this-- the fearr of the going with the 70 front with the LP aspect but now with the HP70 in the picture this is a go!!!!

drich394 said:
Freakn awesome,, well,, after revisting this,, i just got off the phone with a dude that has the center section of the axle that has me surly building a front D70 over the 14bolt--- its a HP dana 70 front center section- needs 4" tubes,, my Dana 70 KP inner C's can easly be bored to except this-- the fearr of the going with the 70 front with the LP aspect but now with the HP70 in the picture this is a go!!!!

4x4 Kodiaks & Topkicks came with a Hp 70 & 4.88s or 5.13s depending on how it was ordered :woot: :woot:

If it was untubed, brand new, and came from a guy in key it was probably mine that I sold a few years ago.Currie also make a 5.38 with 35 spline pinion for the HP 70.