• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tractor hyd. fluid in th350

Jduck

Anyone running a tractor hyd transmission fluid in their th350s? Been reading about it but most of what shows up is from the drag racing world, seems like it would work well for what we're doing. Biggest attraction for me is it is rated to run at much higher temps than normal dexIII atf.

There are so many different weights 32 42 62 68 70 so on..I No that most companies that build hyd. Units,even in the turbine units they say that royal purple is hands down has the best results after long use and high heat.I run royal purple max aft th350. if u come towards pensacola in the near future I can get you hyd.fluid any weigh,cheap or free 5 gallon buckets

Been running it the whole 6 years I have had an automatic. Ran CASE ($100+ for 5 gallons) brand forever and now run any brand just be sure it is marked "303" (about $30 for 5 gallons). Works great and never had a failure that wasn't my fault.

What about in your steering? I know many praise the amsoil hyd trans oil, but obviously a 5 gallon container of tractor hydro fluid is pretty affordable compared to $7-$10qt

Re: Re: Tractor hyd. fluid in th350

pennsylvaniaboy said:
What about in your steering? I know many praise the amsoil hyd trans oil, but obviously a 5 gallon container of tractor hydro fluid is pretty affordable compared to $7-$10qt
It works fine, especially if you have a large reservoir and cooler.

Power steering systems don't run at high enough pressures to dictate high performance fluid. It's more of a band aid for high operating temps caused by low capacity and marginal cooling.

To follow up on this..Got rebuilt trans put back in, filled with 303 hydro fluid. Everything worked well it just felt sluggish compared to before. Drained it all out tonight and put reg dex III in and it feels like it did before the rebuild. Im guessing it lowered the converter stall too much putting more drag on the engine :dunno:

Rjhoward32006 said:
So now you've mixed fluids in a fresh rebuild...
Here goes number what? 4 isn't it lol

Nah I'm not worried about that at all, they are very similar in characteristics but the hydro is just a little heavier weight. I got 8 qts out of the 9 I put in so there's only 1 qt of mix in it. And one of those original 9 was atf to give it color so it would show up on a dip stick.

The double your money back guarantee I gave you on this trans build has just been voided. But for real... you still wont break it. My guess is that fluid you used was slightly thicker than ATF.

Rjhoward32006 said:
So now you've mixed fluids in a fresh rebuild...
Here goes number what? 4 isn't it lol

You're worried about a little hydraulic fluid, when we've poured gear dope in mine in a pinch to get home? :flipoff1:

I have seen a guy wheel for 5 hour with 5 quarts of 303 and a gallon of water in his 904 :****:

Kel can vouch for that... It'll work... for a little while :drinkers:

Re:

What about 10w hydraulic fluid? The bigger forklifts use it in automatics instead of dexron

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Will this stuff help a wore out trans? I just drained the fluid in mine and DAM !!! it looks like used motor oil ! What sucks is I bet it doesn't have 5 rides on it since the last time I changed it. Figured I'd do a filter change and try the hydraulic fluid this time just to try to buy some time. I just hope it makes it thru fall crawl weekend. Is there any super additives to add besides Lucas that might help it live a while longer?

94xjsport94 said:

Jduck said:
To follow up on this..Got rebuilt trans put back in, filled with 303 hydro fluid. Everything worked well it just felt sluggish compared to before. Drained it all out tonight and put reg dex III in and it feels like it did before the rebuild. Im guessing it lowered the converter stall too much putting more drag on the engine :dunno:

Everything is working like its supposed to. I was fighting high temps the first trip out just like all the previous trips since I put that converter in. Added a huge trans cooler in front of the radiator and now it barely gets over 150*.

98d3d92da28cc4fb62eccc93f0447c9e.jpg

Latest posts