• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt steering axles.

poolman

So I'm considering 14 bolt steering axles. I met a guy at Harlan 6,7 years ago but his number must be an old phone. His name was Alex and he had a much cheaper wayy than a kit. So I searched and everything I found was 2012-2013 and I figured things have changed. houghts? I have have two 14 bolt fully assembled. Thanks in advance.

Depends what you want in terms of outers.
But it's hard to be cheaper than grafting 05+ outers on a 14 bolt these days

Depends what you want in terms of outers.
But it's hard to be cheaper than grafting 05+ outers on a 14 bolt these days
I was going to say basically the same. What is your goal with strength? I'm guessing pretty stout if you are thinking a high pinion Ford 60 ring and pinion won't cut it up front.
What I was going to do is put the big Super 60 F450/550 outers on with standard 05+ unit bearings replacing the 10 lug ones and use custom 40 spline stuff. I bought a 2wd monobeam front to use. Basically just remove the 14bolt tubes from the housing and replace with the monobeam tubes you cut to length.

So I'm considering 14 bolt steering axles. I met a guy at Harlan 6,7 years ago but his number must be an old phone. His name was Alex and he had a much cheaper wayy than a kit. So I searched and everything I found was 2012-2013 and I figured things have changed. houghts? I have have two 14 bolt fully assembled. Thanks in advance.
I believe Alex is Alscott on here. He had the yota with a kabota engine that kept the mosquitoes away.

I was going to say basically the same. What is your goal with strength? I'm guessing pretty stout if you are thinking a high pinion Ford 60 ring and pinion won't cut it up front.
What I was going to do is put the big Super 60 F450/550 outers on with standard 05+ unit bearings replacing the 10 lug ones and use custom 40 spline stuff. I bought a 2wd monobeam front to use. Basically just remove the 14bolt tubes from the housing and replace with the monobeam tubes you cut to length.

Strength. I just don't to worry about it breaking. Be running 43 stickies with a Big block chevy.

05+ 60 donor axle, you can reuse the stock shafts with a mark Williams spool,brakes And UBs or jump up to a 40 spline 1550 setup from rhodes diff or ecgs.with the 05+ Cs you have room for upgrade without sacrificing ujoint strength.

If re-using the stock shafts you could weld the stock spiders in the carrier really good instead of a spool to save some money. Could make it plenty strong for stock shafts.
I probably wouldn't do it for something like 35 spline Branik 1550 stuff though.
Not sure i see the need to go 14bolt though with stock 60 shafts since the 60 R&P is way stronger. Maybe to have stock shafts as backup for built 35 spline stuff?

If re-using the stock shafts you could weld the stock spiders in the carrier really good instead of a spool to save some money. Could make it plenty strong for stock shafts.
I probably wouldn't do it for something like 35 spline Branik 1550 stuff though.
Not sure i see the need to go 14bolt though with stock 60 shafts since the 60 R&P is way stronger. Maybe to have stock shafts as backup for built 35 spline stuff?
I think you need the mw spool to "adapt" the 60 shafts to the 14b housing. But I agree, really no huge benefit running stock shafts with 14b gears. I'd be curious though, if 300m 35 spline rcv's would still pop before a 14b r&p.

Yes they would.
If you want to stay 35sp, yukon even makes a 35sp pinion HP60 gearset which would be a great upgrade.

I think you need the mw spool to "adapt" the 60 shafts to the 14b housing. But I agree, really no huge benefit running stock shafts with 14b gears. I'd be curious though, if 300m 35 spline rcv's would still pop before a 14b r&p.
I'm pretty sure some folks have just welded 60 spiders in place of the 14 bolt ones with a little alignment and a lot of welding to Lincoln lock it.

I remember when the Tanners used to snap 35 spline RCVs like crazy. I saw 3 go at once on a hill. Bobby had a front HP 60 that took major abuse for a while also. I talked to Brian Cole and the only thing he did to the 14 bolts even with larger shafts is I think replaced the crush washer with a bronze bushing or something then they were about bulletproof if the gears were setup right with good bearings.

Latest posts