• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

17" wheel questions

Rockwells607

I've always ran 15" wheels with outer Rock rings and have never lost an inner bead, I'm thinkin of going with 17" stickies and lookin at wheel options, are any of you runnin 17s with only outer rock rings or do they need inners too? I know 16.5s need double beadlocks cuz there's no safety bead like a 15" wheel, I don't mind paying the extra if I need it but don't wanna pay the extra if I don't :dunno: thoughts ? I'll be runnin 3-4 psi

Re:

Most of the people I know running 17's including myself and the whole group I ride with are only running outer beadlocks. I've not saw any inner beads lost

My treps have burped air a few times because the sidewalls are really stiff. I taped the inner bead and that helped. Once they break in and soften up I don't think it will be an issue any more.

Re: 17" wheel questions

I've ran 17 tr beadlocks on my last 2 rigs with no probs. but I saw a guy lose a inner bead on a DIY steel wheel. A lot of tire options in 17.

I ran a 17"Allied single beadlock wheel on my last rig with 39.5 IROCs Rig weighed in around 5K. If I ran pressures over 10 psi I did not usually have any problem, but if I ran single digit pressures I would start burping when the tire folded up and was under pressure and then lose a inner bead if I did bring the pressure back up. It never bothered me that much since I knew the risk and just planned for it.

How many flat tires did you fix in RC? Lol. I have ran race lines for years and have yet to have a problem with BFG's, Pit bulls, or treps. That's running about 8-10 psi. Maybe lower if I forget to check them. Why run 3-4psi? Bump it up a bit and forget about them.

Two rounds of Gorilla Tape on the inner safety bead helps and that is what I did. I run 43 stickies and steel Racelines at 7.5 psi with no problems.