• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2" or 16 spline Rockwell shafts?

Elliott

What's the most reliable shafts to run in steering housings? Obviously the 2" shafts are stronger but seems like people have chunk problems after installing these.So what's the word from some people that have ran these, would the 16 spline shafts be the fuse or do they push it back to the chunk also?

if you have the money get the 2" especially for rear steer. i ran 2" in the rear and 16sp in front and never broke any thing with 3yrs 49s,47s and 44s

my ranger had factory 19 spline never had problem also came with Detroit factory front and rear came out of water truck

From what I've gathering the factory suggested 6 to 12 thousandths of back lash between the pinion shaft and the bevel gear is a little more than you would want to run in a high horse power buggy. me and my dad currently building a a set of steering rockwell's for our buggy. After replacing all of the bearings in the center section, we set our back lash to 4 thousandths and re-shimed the pinion shaft and bevel gear to run the wear pattern in the middle each other which is the correct pattern for that particulate set up . We have also purchased the Overson 2" VIOLATOR shaft kits with the full spool and a Overson sud gurtle with arp studs. So from the rebuild manuals we a going by, if every thing is set properly then we cant see any reason for failure. unless it's just time for a good thing to go bad and thats replacing the broken components. :driving: :dblthumb:

Violator shafts is the answer to that question.

I ran them on my old rig for 2 years and never had a problem. 5500lb. exoed toy cab and chassis with a built sbc. Bounced it any way you would want and then some, and never once did I worry about breaking a front shaft. also never had any problems with my center section.

There is no doubt the 2" shafts are awesomely strong but I guess my question is are They so strong where you do have to worry about the pinions and transfer cases? The ones that have ran them have you had a problem with those parts?

Never had any problems with anything, but I kept a close eye on things and was only running about 400hp on 49" iroks.