• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2 way radios

B

bigsilly

Ok, I have used the little handheld radios for years deer hunting and they are usually good up to about 2-3 miles. I have been trying to decide what to do about communications for Rausch Creek back to my pit. The regular handhelds are not going to have enough range. I have looked at some that claim a 30 mile range, but in my research that does not seem realistic. Who knows something about this stuff and can give me some advice on what to look for? It may not even be something I need, but I think I would feel better to have some type of communication.

Look at PCI for a race radio setup. They are not cheap though. Or you could mod a CB radio to reach that far. If you are serious about the desert type racing, you will probably need to invest in a race radio setup to communicate to pits

you can mod a cb for that, but the antenna is going to be big, and you have to have an onboard amp.
race radios are going to end up at about $800.
If you are going to go to KOH, you need the PCI setup anyway, so spend the $800 now instead of throwing **** together before rausch unless it is cheap or free from a CB shop buddy

Yeah it is a catch 22. I hate to dump that kind of $$$ into radios before Rausch without knowing if I will pull a top ten or not. I will for sure have a setup for KOH if I get in though. I was hoping to get away with something else for Rausch. I guess I may get on the phone with PCI and talk to them about it.

13 miles of cord and two large fruit drink cans,works every time............ :****:

I got all my stuff from Rugged Radios.com. Most of the cords were wrong and my radio was programed incorrectly to allow for emergency communication during the race (weatherman and such). PCI hooked me up on the lake bed that week fixing everything Rugged screwed up.

That's my plug.

Call 'em up.

You could contact Rusty's friend who lives in Lexington. His name is Myron. This is what he sells for a living and gave us a good price for KOH...we just were spent and couldn't afford a few hundo for radios. Hingsight is 20/20.

Ask how good his setup worked for Rusty at KOH. It was cheaper, but still the nice stuff.

Droopy said:
You could contact Rusty's friend who lives in Lexington. His name is Myron. This is what he sells for a living and gave us a good price for KOH...we just were spent and couldn't afford a few hundo for radios. Hingsight is 20/20.

Ask how good his setup worked for Rusty at KOH. It was cheaper, but still the nice stuff.
Shoot me his number. I heard Josh on the radio in the Maxxis pit, so I know they were working well.

What about hand held radios for hunting, I thought they had good range. The cost of radios is retarded, really it is. I said fawk it and did not do them for KOH. I would beg, borrow and steal to get by for this race, even if it is not perfect. If you make the cut, step up to the real deal

Matt O. said:
What about hand held radios for hunting, I thought they had good range. The cost of radios is retarded, really it is. I said fawk it and did not do them for KOH. I would beg, borrow and steal to get by for this race, even if it is not perfect. If you make the cut, step up to the real deal

The problem with the hand held for hunting is they base the range off of line of sight. Of course on our side of the world you know what your line of sight is, not very far. That means that a 15 mile radio here works maybe 2-3 miles max due to hills and trees. We use them at our deer camp and the cheap ones do not do any worse than the expensive ones, and we have plenty of both.