• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2003 toyota tacoma 2x4 to 4x4 questions

Hotrodpayton

Jesus Saves
I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2x4. The little one with a 2.4 L 4 cyl. It's a 5 speed and its the one with the 5 lug rear end, 7.5'' ring gear. Anyone here know if a 4x4 transfer case from the same year truck will bolt to the trans? or If I can swap to a 4x4 trans an t case from a donor Tacoma? Only issue is to make it a straight axle, the pinion is on the wrong side for a new model trans and t case. Sooooo, will an old model trans and t case bolt up? If so, I think the clutch parts are on the wrong side. What is the best idea?

TBItoy said:
You can use an older (pre Tacoma) trans and tcase, just use your bell housing.

Cheapest way to do it. You could use 4x4 taco trans and case and go with a rock assault front housing. I think, not sure, that there are differences in the frame crossmember that goes under the trans, so factor some fab in for that.

I've done a good bit of the prerunner conversion, you cut the output shaft ,cut down the coupling and transfercase output shaft.and the factory adapter and case will bolt up. Gotta use a factory drive shafts from the 4x4 vehicle
I was optimistic at first and really didn't think it would hold up.TRD supercharger 7th injector kit running sas 35" mud grapples ,lockers F&R 4.88's
All factory parts ..
Pm me if you need more info.or your welcome to call
Eddie 8503824209