• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22r head shave?

heepofajeep

I was wondering what is involved in getting 11:1 comp. out of a 22r? How much must the head be milled down? Any changes need to be made to the valve-train?

I cut this from the LPG thread because it was a bit off-topic.

shaving the head alone won't do it..you will need pistons too ,,at 11-1 I think pump gas might not be enough..

If you just shave the head too much you will have timing issues and will need a adjustable timing gear to help make up the difference..

a 20r head would be better then shaving the **** out of the 22r head..but agin,,all this on an old motor might just be a big ole can of worms..

mr4x42u said:
shaving the head alone won't do it..you will need pistons too ,,at 11-1 I think pump gas might not be enough..

If you just shave the head too much you will have timing issues and will need a adjustable timing gear to help make up the difference..

a 20r head would be better then shaving the **** out of the 22r head..but agin,,all this on an old motor might just be a big ole can of worms..

This was spurred on by the propane thread, so pre-detonation on LPG will not be a problem. I can do a 20r head, but that means more parts to round up, so if I could make do with the stuff I've got, it would be cool.

Stupid question, but how does shaving the head alter the timing? Also, what pistons would you recommend?

Last edited:
I'm not all sure whats availabe,,but some dome style pistons would up the compression..

I have not looked at the propane thread,,,but I know many guys who run propane on older motors with no problems..