• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3rd member

81yota1

After installing my new 3rd, my diff keeps leaking. All the bolts are tight and gasket is good. Can I use rtv sealer to seal it on the outside.

Sealing from the outside will not work for long if at all. Your best course of action is to pull it apart again and use RTV.

Pull the diff, clean both surfaces making sure they are spotless and dry and use a good rtv automotive silicone (black) put every thing back together.
No more problems, the problem I have found with the toyota rear housings is that they are 20-25 years old and over time who knows if the truck has hit something hard with one of the rear wheels and tweaked the housing slightly, a lot of times the thin paper gasket will just not do the job. Odie.

Smearing it on the outside will only work if you use orange or blue and use the whole tube:wtf:

Seriously, get some black RTV from schuck's, autozone, or wherever and pull the third, clean the surfaces well, wipe with a clean rag and lay a bead all the way around the third going to the inside of the bolt holes and reassemble. Don't use gaskets on diffs, they never work.

TMFabrication said:
Don't use gaskets on diffs, they never work.

x2. Just re-do it right and you won't have any trouble. Make sure both surfaces are nice and CLEAN though... I use lacquer thinner, works real well and doesn't leave any residue, and buying a gallon jug of it's cheaper than buying spray can after spray can of brake cleaner at the parts store.

hell i just wipe it dry get most the **** off and but a bead on the housing and throw the third in, ive never had a leak.

megatoy66 said:
Pull the diff, clean both surfaces making sure they are spotless and dry and use a good rtv automotive silicone (black) put every thing back together.
No more problems, the problem I have found with the toyota rear housings is that they are 20-25 years old and over time who knows if the truck has hit something hard with one of the rear wheels and tweaked the housing slightly, a lot of times the thin paper gasket will just not do the job. Odie.

X2 try using wire brush to really clean the surfaces and wipe clean with some brake cleaner. that has worked for me in the past.