• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 4 runner ?s

krackem

Build-Bend-Weld-Break -Repeat
OK so I acquired an 85 4 runner that ran and drove but was missing on cyl #2 and pulled the head to find a bent intake valve. Here's were the confusion starts for me as I'm new to Toyota's. :dunno: It is fuel injected 8 valve head so that is the 22re if I'm correct( only casting on head is #13 that I can find) and the block has the stamp 22r and and the pistons look to have and dual valve relief on the intake side and nothing on exhaust side of the piston. I'm fixing to start rebuilding this motor since I'm clueless of miles and abuse its been thru but is this a hybrid or a stock motor. I'd like to no so I don't waste money on wrong pasts. Also is it a good combo if its a hybrid and any help is appreciated guys :dblthumb:

Attachments

• Image07222012102412.jpg
    Image07222012102412.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 90
  • Image07162012190113.jpg
    Image07162012190113.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 83
Well I figured it out on my own 22r carb , 22re efi, 22ret turbo efi , motors are all the same except intake and exhaust manifolds.

I can't remember exactly how, but heads and blocks aren't always interchangeable. You'll want to double check before you start mixing it all up.

22R - Carb
22RE - EFI
22RET - Turbo'd

You are correct on the codes, though.

As for hybrid, I've heard a 20R head on a 22R produces more power. But, you'll wanna look that up.

22R changed in 84/85

Early 22R were "tall deck" motors with dome pistons.

Late (85-95) 22R/RE/RTE motors have the "short deck" motors. R/RE motors have "flat top" pistons.

RTE motors have dish pistons.

Timing sets are different between tall and short deck motors. Heads are the same on tall/short deck motors.

EFI intakes will swap on anything 83-up (pre 82 is not likely to have the correct pattern for the EFI intake).

As for the 20R head, pretty easy to identify, there is NO place for a mechanical fuel pump (20R had a electric fuel pump).

I wasn't trying to mix em I thought the one I got was done that way. The block say 22r but has the dished piston can't find a casting # on head has #13 stamped on it but its efi for sure it ran but timing tensioner went out and jump time and bent #2 intake valve. Do all the 85 plus blocks say only 22r on them looked up vin # tho and it came with 22re. And thanks guys I'm in a learning curve right now so I appreciate the input.

Re: Re: Re: 85 4 runner ?s

krackem said:
I wasn't trying to mix em I thought the one I got was done that way. The block say 22r but has the dished piston can't find a casting # on head has #13 stamped on it but its efi for sure it ran but timing tensioner went out and jump time and bent #2 intake valve. Do all the 85 plus blocks say only 22r on them looked up vin # tho and it came with 22re. And thanks guys I'm in a learning curve right now so I appreciate the input.

the picture you posted is of a "late model" 22r/re.

They all say 22R on the block. Even turbo motors ( turbo block is easily id'd by the oil ports on the driver side of the block, which are not machined on non turbo motors)

pirate4x4.com has every thing you will ever need to know about a toyota in the toyota pick-up section in the toyota bible thumb.gif

While we are on the subject, I have been told, by a dirt track racer, that a 20r block can be bored out and used as a replacement for a 22r/re. Any truth to that?

I have no idea if you can do that and I hate pirate bunch of smart asses that tell u to search I have searched there form and couldn't find anything helpful but got a lot and I mean àaaaaaalllllllllllooooottttttt of smart ass comments on a post takes 50 assholes comments to get 1 good guy to post the link I needed. On here its so much better you ask a ? And they might crack a joke but they'll actually help you not bash your ass thats why I say :flipgotcha: pirate :****: hardline all the way man :dblthumb: and thanks for yalls input its helped a lot guys I do appreciate it . Oh and ran the vin and I have the 22-rec or so it says

Re: Re: Re: 85 4 runner ?s

grcthird said:
While we are on the subject, I have been told, by a dirt track racer, that a 20r block can be bored out and used as a replacement for a 22r/re. Any truth to that?

Well, the heads are interchangeable, as we already know from the 20r head swap on a 22r.

So I'd say you could use it inversely. Don't really know why you would tho?