• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'91 runner- starter R&R

whiterice

Well this is a V6 3.0, auto setup that I have. The starter is about to throw a rod and needs replaced. I have only taken a quick look at from the underside and it first looks a basketcase job. Is there any quick tips that can be passed on before I get into the job. Looking for shortcuts and do's and don't if there are any. Everything on the runner is stock so nothing is messed up.

fairly sure it is a basic 2 bolt and the harness connection... there may be a fender access panel can't really remember.

Ya, the basic starter. I've pulled many, just this thing just looks like the runner was built around the starter. I haven't looked for a fender panel. Maybe that is what I need to do. Planning on wrenching on Monday
Thanks

Well, I can tell you my experience with the 3.0 starter, which involved two people, a lot of cussing, skinned knuckles and blind guesses.

This was on an '88 V6 truck, so basically the same platform, it was a bitch to get the starter back in. Infact, we literally could not get the starter back in where it needed to go without doing the following...

If you have a chain hoist or cherry picker, or heck even a bottle jack and a block to put under the oil pan, unbolt the passenger side motor mount, and remove the bracket from the block. It will make accessing and actually being able to see the front of the starter much easier. Makes getting everything lined up and the bolts back in place much easier, and it also makes bolting the battery connections on much easier.

Good luck. :)

That mess is what I was thought I had to look forward to. Almost looks like you have to drop the front axle. Motor mount, o-well.

--toyguy--- said:
fairly sure it is a basic 2 bolt and the harness connection... there may be a fender access panel can't really remember.
Oh yea:D access panel and a few wiring harness clips that are bolted to the bellhousing and it was R&R'ed in about 90 min. The worst part was the solinoid clip. It would'nt snap into place. I tried to trim the saftey clip part because it looked to wide to go thru the new connector on the starter. That didn't help. So I just ended up pushing it on and loading up the gap between the wire and solinoid with silicone seal.
Toyguy-Thanks for the tips