• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anybody ever own a KLR650?

skinny_pedal

I've been looking at them because they are cheap and seem like the perfect bike for what I want to do. People either love them or hate them. Anyone?

I'm on the look out for one too. My research says it's mid grade and heavy but will tool our asses around on pavement and dirt. My only problem is I think the 650 will be too tall for me.

I'm on the look out for one too. My research says it's mid grade and heavy but will tool our asses around on pavement and dirt. My only problem is I think the 650 will be too tall for me.

They make lowering kits just for you. I think you can't beat it for the price. Just have to know its limitations. But I want to put it on a hitch mount when we take our camper out so I have transportation.

They're better at dirt than high speed asphalt. Not good at either offroad or street ut ok at both. What's your intended pupose? Comute sub 45 ocasional gravel roads with easy slow trail is ok.

Reading your reply it sounds about perfect

They're better at dirt than high speed asphalt. Not good at either offroad or street ut ok at both. What's your intended pupose? Comute sub 45 ocasional gravel roads with easy slow trail is ok.

Reading your reply it sounds about perfect

My commute to work is 5 minutes. So it would get used for that at times. Wouldn't mind riding it out towards Greenwater and things like that to hit service roads.

Pretty much they suck at high speeds as they are more dirt than road. But they are adequate at both. Theyre heavy and vibrate but cheap and fairly reliable

KLR's are 20% dirt and 80% street! Worst dual sport of the bunch, (especially offroad) but ok for a simple commute.

they are super reliable, do most things OK. Nothing is exciting about them except you always make it home. Good all around, cheap adventure bike.

i had one here for a few months, im 200lbs, with stock suspension set as stiff as it go's, its still WAY to soft for any thing more serious than fire roading. it also had a taller wind screen on it, good for street, would decapitate you while standing up and going over small berms.
personaly id lean more to an xl/xr if you intend to do 50% or more dirt.
if 75% or more dirt, look into getting an XR platted.. its not that hard to do.

The good about the KLR650 is it's reliability and its fuel range and CHEAP.

A low compression motor and a big fuel tank makes that possible, but it is a shitty bike for any performance. Ridding one is like putting around on a XR75.

There is really no cure for the low power, but other bikes with power can have extra tanks added, but they are not cheap like the KLR.

Just don't buy a KLR and try to make it better. That would be just like buying an XJ and dumping tons of $$$ into it. At the end of the day it's still a turd.

I just want it because they are cheap. If I decide I don't like having a bike, I won't loose much on the deal. I'll have one in a couple months.

Decided I needed one. Had a blast riding today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 195
You taken that thing off of any sweet jumps yet?

I am still in the market. I am thinking of just going to the dealer and buying new. But I have just about decided to get the 250 dual sport flavor.

Just trying to decide between Honda CRF250L or Yamaha WR250R.